Last Words (One-Shot, 2476 words)

Prompt: http://official-ladyblog.tumblr.com/post/171073832720/funkytoesart-ill-still-be-right-here-since

The summer air was heavy, it clung to the skin of every Parisian out on the streets, creating a sluggish pace throughout the day. Most people had opted to stay indoors, baring out the stifling air.

The streets that night ran cold. Any heat left from the day was swept away in an evening breeze. Chat panted as he pushed himself faster towards Ladybug's tracker location. Her call dropping out had left him in a heightened state of worry, a slight panic creeping up his back.

He leaps across one final rooftop until he's seemingly right on top of her signal, "Ladybug?" He looks down into the alley below before waiting for an answer. He stifles a cry at the sight of his Lady sprawled out on the pavement below. He leaps down and immediately starts to assess the situation, wondering the extent of what befell here.

He notices her communicator resting against her chest under a limp hand. Without thinking he holds her wrist, searching for a pulse or any sign of life. He can feel his own heart pounding against his chest as he searches for hers. He readjusts his hand one last time, finally feeling a dim pulse from within. A sigh of relief rushes from him, but is immediately replaced with other fears. He watches the slight rise and fall of her chest, unnoticeable if not focused on. "Ladybug, I'm here. Chat Noir. Come on, bug-a-boo..." he holds her cool cheek.

Her eyelids stir, fighting their way open. "C-chat," she says quietly, barely over a whisper.

"I'm here." He holds her hand firmly. "What happened?"

She closes her eyes, trying to remember, "I-I didn't sleep last night, or the night before that. And it was so hot out...I think I just kinda blacked out and missed the landing" she gazes up towards the rooftops above them. "I woke up here on the ground..." she trails off, losing her train of thought.

"Then you called me." He reminds her, "You called me saying you needed help."

Her eyes soften, looking off somewhere past Chat's silhouette above her. "I did?" Just then their Miraculous' beep.

Chat's heartbeat picks up, "We're about to transform back. What do you want me to do?"

Her eyes open again, "I couldn't sleep. I couldn't sleep because of you."

He's taken aback for a second, but quickly realizes he can't be distracted. "Ladybug, we're going to transform back any minute now. We need to get you help." Their Miraculous' beep again.

"I couldn't sleep... I couldn't sleep..." She mumbles, fading away.

Chat feels the panic rise in him. He starts to get up to go find help, but is surprised to feel Ladybugs hand still gripped tightly to his. His heart skips a beat, unsure of what to do.

With her eyes still closed, her lips part and whisper, "Stay..."

Everything about the situation was telling him that he had to leave her side, either to get help or to prevent revealing their identities.

But she and his heart told him to stay.

He lay down next to her, caressing her cheek as the last warning beep goes off.

He closes his eyes.

In a flash of light, he could feel himself transform back, and a skin to skin contact between his hand and Ladybug.

They lay there in silence for what feels like forever before Adrien breaks it, "M'lady? Ladybug?" He asks, his eyes still closed, "A-are you going to be okay? Should I leave? I can keep my eyes closed if you want..." Silence. "Ladybug?" Still no answer.