Chat Blanc: Part 3 (1137 words)

"What?! You're kidding." Marinette exclaims in the doorway of her house, clutching onto Adrien's arm as if to stay grounded.

The smile that he wore on the way to tell her the good news became bigger as he watches her reaction. "It's all real, all right here." he waves the large yellow envelope in his hand. "I came as soon as I could."

"What's all the commotion about?" Marinette's dad comes up behind her, "Ah, Adrien; saying some final goodbyes before we leave tomorrow?" he places a hand on Marinette's shoulder.

He shakes his head, "No need, sir. If you'll just accept this," he hands him the envelope.

He furrows his brow, taking the envelope and heading inside. "Sabine?" he calls out. She comes in from the other room as he opens the seal.

"What is this?" Marinette's mother asks, looking over his shoulder. Marinette and Adrien stand closely behind with anticipation.

He pulls out a sturdy sheet of paper, holding it up so he and Sabine can read. "Dear Mr. and Mrs. Dupain-Cheng," he reads aloud, "We at Gabriel industries are proud to be a staple of the Parisian identity along with countless other family run businesses. We, as part of the Gabriel Outreach Program want to help support those companies, and or, businesses that have also made their mark on the city for the better..." he mumbles, reading to himself the next few lines, "...We offer you this grant in hopes that it will help your business stay a part of the Parisian landscape and continue to serve the people as an icon of entrepreneurship. Regards, Gabriel Agreste." he sets the letter down before pulling a check out of the envelope, which immediately leaves him and Sabine dumbfounded.

"So... mom, dad?" Marinette approaches them slowly, hands clutched in excited fists, "Are we staying?"

Her dad whirls around and embraces her, "Tom and Sabine Boulangerie Patisserie is staying in Paris!"

Her mother joins in the hug, also reaching out a hand to Adrien. He takes her hand and she holds it firmly, "How can we ever thank you?"

He shrugs, "It was all my father's idea. Probably to make the company seem more charitable." he justifies, remembering the shock when Nathalie informed him of this new Outreach Program and that the first recipient would be the Dupain-Chengs.

She smiles, "Either way, we're eternally grateful to you and your father."

"Guess we gotta start unpacking now." Tom laughs as they come out of their hug.

"I'll start in my room." Marinette chimes in, starting up the stairs.

"Need any help?" Adrien asks, not ready to leave.

After a quick glance at her parents she responds, "Sure. Come on up."

Once in her room, she takes a seat on her bed, inviting Adrien to sit next to her. He smiles, "I thought we were gonna unpack some boxes" he says, taking a seat.

"We will, but I have something I want to say first." she looks down to the carpeted floor. "Ever since we found out each other's identities I've been... less likely to admit to any...feelings that I have...for you." She pauses, judging his reaction: a slight smirk, as to be expected. "And when I found out I was going to be moving I was just stuck on the thought of how my life would change; specifically, how my life would be without you.

"Not just you as Chat and me as Ladybug; but as you as Adrien and me as Marinette." She takes a shaky breath. Adrien takes her hand in his to steady her. She looks to him and smiles sadly, "I took you for granted and I'm sorry for everything I've put you through and I hope you can forgive me because I've realized that I love you-" She's cut off instantaneously as Adrien leans in to place a kiss upon her lips.

She returns the kiss gratefully, a tear streaming down her cheek.

They separate after the moment, he wipes the tear from her face and his own. "I love you too, but I think you knew that."

A week passes. Boxes are unpacked; life returns to normal as Marinette tells her friends of her continued residence in Paris, the only difference is that she does so with Adrien on her arm. Alya silently congratulates her and suggests a double date with her and Nino.

Word gets around the school, finding its way inevitably to Chloe. She sneers at them from afar, but doesn't confront them on the matter, too proud to truly acknowledge it.

One day after school, Adrien takes Marinette's hand per usual as they walk home, and casually says "My father wants to meet you." He pauses, as if waiting for a reaction.

"I've met him before."

He holds the back of his neck, "Yeah, but not in the context of you dating me." He smiles, "I'm sure it will be quick, and mostly painless. Are you available right now?"

She nods, "Yeah, sure. At least we both have a love for fashion design in common, and a love for you." She gives him a quick peck on the cheek as they head for Agreste manor.

They're greeted at the door by Nathalie, who has a bit of a surprised look on her face. "Ah, Miss Marinette, welcome. Are you two here to meet with your father?" she addresses Adrien.

He nods, "Yes, please let him know we're home."

She nods in response before going off to Gabriel's office deeper in the manor.

Marinette starts to fidget with her pigtail, "This will be fine, right? There should be no pressure, it's just your dad, the famous and important Mr. Agreste..." she takes deep some deep breaths.

Adrien places his hands on her shoulders, "It is going to be fine. Right now, he's just my dad, nothing else. And he already thinks you're talented in your designs, there's nothing to be afraid of." He kisses her on the forehead.

"Miss Marinette?" Nathalie calls as she come back into the foyer. "Mr. Agreste will see you now." Marinette and Adrien start to walk hand in hand, "No," she stops them in their tracks, "just Miss Marinette."

He gives her hand one last encouraging squeeze before letting go.

Her heart starts to pick up just a bit as she is guided down the hall away from Adrien. "Right in here." Nathalie leads her to a large set of double doors. "Knock before you enter." she instructs before heading back up the hall, leaving Marinette alone.

With one last breath to steady her nerves, she knocks three times before cracking open the door, peeking in. "Mr. Agreste?" she walks in and closes the doors behind her.

The chair behind the desk swivels around, revealing Hawkmoth. "Hello, Ladybug." 

TO BE CONTINUED 

at a later date