Vulnerable (One-Shot, 6547 words)

(After Sapoti)

"Your friend is quite something" Chat remarks, "I didn't get the chance to say before you ran off with her, and I was tackled by those kids" he eyes her as they look out over Paris from the rooftops.

"She is. I'm really glad she took the responsibility well, and gave me back the Miraculous like she promised" Ladybug says, swinging her leg over the edge of the building.

His eyebrow arches, "'Gave it back'? You mean, she didn't get to keep it?"

She shrugs, "Yeah, the Guardian told me we can't risk having more Miraculous' out in the world."

"How many more could there be?" He asks, sitting down next to her.

Ladybugs eyes widen, remembering the box of Miraculous' secret compartments, "A lot."

He leans back in surprise, "Oh. Wow."

"Yeah."

"Well, if they all turn out as nice as your friend, I don't think I would mind the new company." He leans back on his elbows, admiring the city.

Ladybug tries to suppress the twinge of jealousy awoken inside her. She never thought she would have a problem sharing this life as Ladybug with anyone but Chat; as if the inclusion of other people lessened their relationship. Alya was doing a great job of concealing her identity from Marinette. Even when they passed a newsstand with the headline 'Paris' Newest Superhero?' with the silhouette shot of Rena Rouge against the sky, Alya was able to keep cool, though she could only imagine the internal combustion happening in her head.

"You're not still mad about the other day, are you?" She asks self-consciously.

He looks confused at her, before realizing she was talking about his rooftop surprise. "No, of course not. I understand that you were busy." He shrugs it off, seemingly not bothered.

"That's not really the part I was referring to." She clarifies, solemn.

His face doesn't change, "I could never be mad at you, Bug-a-boo" he replies in an even tone.

She nods, "Good, good." There's a pause before she tries to change the subject, "I just don't know how often Rena will be joining us, or when someone else would be joining us" she says quickly, turning away.

Chat leans forward to try to see her face, "Am I sensing a bit of jealousy, M'lady?"

She scoffs, flustered, "What? Me? Jealous? I'm the least jealous person there ever was. I was voted 'least jealous' in middle school. I'm not jealous." She frantically spurts out, realizing how unconvincing she sounded.

He sits up, suppressing a laugh, "You know, even if more heroes join us as we continue to protect Paris, none of them could compare to you."

"I-uh," Ladybug feels her cheeks grow warm.

"No one could replace you on this team... or in my heart." He ventures, pushing his luck.

She hesitates, her breath catching in her throat, "C-chat," she whispers out on a shaky breath.

"I don't want to be that guy who's always waiting for the girl to change her mind, and I especially don't want to be the guy who imposes himself on a girl to make her feel guilty, but here I am and I'm sorry. Forget I said anything." He turns his body away from her.

She can't help but feel sorry, even though it's not her fault she doesn't share those feelings for him. But she can imagine how the situation would change under different circumstances. "I'm sorry," the words spilling from her lips anyway, "I don't want to lead you on."