LuckyStar (One-Shot, 3130 words)

This was Fredrick's last scratch off ticket. He stood outside the corner store and grasped it in both of his hands, saying a little prayer as several used lottery tickets lay scattered around his feet. He needed some quick cash and decided he'd try his luck. People won the lottery all the time, why couldn't it be him this time, he figured.

He held the ticket to his forehead, taking a slow breath in, before starting to scratch off the ticket with a loose coin. Fredrick feverishly scratched the ticket clean, then scanned it for any winnings. "One thousand francs... one thousand francs!" He shouts in realization, holding up the ticket into the sunlight, feeling truly blessed.

"On your right!" A biker whizzes past Fredrick, accidentally clipping him with the handlebars. Startled, the winning ticket falls out of his fingers and is swept away in the gust created by the biker and the passing cars combined. Fredrick flails, chasing it for a block before it lands and is swept down the sewer. On his hands and knees, he tries to reach through the grate, he tries to lift the grate away, to no avail. He hangs his head as the ticket is washed away beneath the Paris streets, silently cursing himself and his luck.

It's not long before a purple butterfly floats into the picture and fazes into the coin he used. A dark voice echoes in Fredricks mind, "LuckyStar, it looks like luck has not been on your side, as of late, good man. But I can help you obtain the luckiest items in Paris to help you change your fate. All I ask is that you obtain Ladybug and Chat Noir's Miraculous' to help change mine in return."

"Lucky me," Fredrick smirks as he is engulfed in purple smoke.

~~

Marinette's fingers wrap tightly around the lucky charm that Adrien had made her after she had offered her own to him. Her thumb rubs the side of one of the beads under the desk as she watches students file into the classroom.

"You gonna do it today?" Alya whispers as she slides in next to Mari, noticing the charm under the desk.

She nods her head once, her leg bouncing, "I have to, the dance is next week. Today's my last chance." She whispers, her eyes never leaving the door frame.

"Well, I heard he's already turned down Chloe, which explains why she's been in a more foul mood than usual." Alya glances to the side and spies Chloe with her arms crossed over her chest. "Hopefully he said no because he's waiting for a special someone to ask him..."

"Or maybe his father forbade him from going," Marinette adds, twirling the beads in her fingers.

"Only way to find out is to ask him." Alya tries to hide her smirk as Adrien walks in as the bell rings to begin class.

Mari tenses up as Adrien waves to her and Alya before sitting down in front of Marinette.

Alya elbows her encouragingly. She takes a few deep breaths before shakily rising from her seat.

"Miss Dupain-Cheng, class is starting; be seated." Ms. Mendeleiev scolds as she moves to the front of the classroom.

She smiles sheepishly before setting herself back down. She turns to Alya and mouths 'After class,' she assures her, putting on a determined face for her friend.

She gives her a knowing look before both of them turn their attention to Ms. Mendeleiev.

Marinette writes her class notes with one hand while still grasping the lucky charm under the table with the other.

It's only a few minutes into class when the classroom windows burst inward with a powerful gust of wind. Everyone immediately takes cover under the desks as the wind whips around the room. Panicked yells start to sound out around the room, one student after another. As Marinette is about to peek her head out to see what the problem is, she feels her lucky charm slide freely from her fist as if nothing were holding it back. Her hands frantically swipe at the air as she watches her lucky charm, among other items get swept out the window.