Chat Blanc: Part 2 (1060 words)

It was Saturday.

Marinette's alarm sounded, rousing her from her sleep. The night of restless sleep had not been able to completely evaporate the puffiness from her eyes, the pillow still wet from tears.

"Tikki?" she asks, her voice soft.

Tikki flies up to her, resting on the pillow next to Marinette's face. "Yeah?"

"I'm going to miss you." she holds Tikki in her hands, pulling her against her face for a hug.

Her eyes glisten, "Take me to the country with you; I'm sure there's some baddies out there for Ladybug to get."

Marinette cracks a smile, "I think it would be a little obvious that I'm Ladybug if she and I showed up on the same day. Besides, Ladybug is needed here with...Chat." her heart sinks a little, wondering if her last memory of her friend will be of him running away from her.

"He'll come around." Tikki pats Marinette's face, wiping away residual tears.

The previous week had been full of goodbyes. She had told Alya the news when she first found out. Alya came over as fast as she could manage, helping Marinette through the initial shock.

After Alya, she told Nino and a couple other classmates and friends, on condition that they didn't spread the news around, especially to Adrien. She had to tell him in person.

A confrontation she had planned so carefully, and avoided for longer than she had prepared for, resulting in last night's disaster.

"You were the best Ladybug." Tikki caresses her face. The tears don't come anymore. Any reservoir she had left was spent last night, leaving her empty.

"Thanks. I couldn't have asked for a better Kwami. I love you, and I'll always love being Ladybug."

They hug again, "I'll always remember when Ladybug was you."

Marinette prepared for the day, exhausted physically and emotionally, she maneuvered around the growing stacks of cardboard boxes in her room, before heading out the door.

She walked down the street with her hand in her purse, cradling Tikki in her palm. She hopes Master Fu understands.

Just then, a street light falls down in front of her, nearly hitting her. She jumps backwards, looking around to find the source.

"Leaving so soon?"

A figure emerges from an alleyway, dressed from cat ear to toe in white leather.

"Chat?" she feels her heart thudding in her throat.

He taps his staff on the sidewalk as he walks out, blocking her way. "The one and only, but now, new and improved." he bows his head slightly. "I was thinking last night, 'Why don't I return Ladybugs Miraculous for her?', like a going away present? I know just where they should go."

The streets are empty except for the two of them. "Chat, you're possessed by Hawkmoth! You have to fight it!"

He grins, "But Hawkmoth promised he could make you stay if I gave him your Miraculous. I can't have you leave me." Real pain comes through his eyes despite the malicious grin plastered to his face.

"I-I promise I'm not going anywhere." She sputters the lie, just trying to reach out to him. "You don't need Hawkmoth. I'm right here, I'll always be here."

His eyes soften, but his teeth grit together. His breath catches in his throat, fighting. "You- you're... LYING!" He lashes out, pounding the ground, causing the sidewalk to crumble around him.

Marinette jumps back. "I didn't want to do this... Tikki, spots on!"

Next moment she's Ladybug, poised to pounce Chat. She spies the purple glow around his staff. "Chat, you need to stop this. I don't want to hurt you."

"That's where you will lose, M'lady. You will never leave Paris if I have any say in it!" he plants his staff into the ground, where a beam shoots up from his staff towards the sky. It creates a forcefield around Paris, no way in or out.

"He's lying to you. He doesn't care if I stay or leave you, he just wants my Miraculous, and I bet he'll take yours too when he has the chance." she tries to reason with him, taking cautious steps towards him.

His body obviously tenses, freezing him in place. One hand flies to his head, clutching some of his hair. "Aghh, stop it, everyone stop it!"

She moves in closer, almost at arm's length away. "Chat, please,"

He turns on her, "But you lied to me about staying! You'll say anything to stop me." he sweeps her legs out from under her with his staff. He points the end of his staff only a few inches from her face, keeping her down. "I thought you would always have my back; I trusted you with everything and now you're taking it all away!" Tears well in his eyes through his focused stare.

Ladybug attempts to nab the staff, but he swings his staff upwards out of her reach. A halo of a purple moth forms around his eyes. He drifts further away, his eyes more and more distant. "You can't leave... if you're dead..." his head twitches to the side as he steps down on her torso and white chains appear and anchor her to the sidewalk.

She struggles against them. "Chat...?" she looks up as he raises his staff upwards, over his shoulder like a baseball bat ready to swing. "CHAT NOIR! Please don't, you can't, it's me! IT'S LADYBUG!" she struggles more desperately to free herself.

Chats eyes are wide and lost to her.

She grows tired, gasping out one last attempt, "Chat, please, remember. It's me, Marinette."

"'Marinette'?" something wanes in Hawkmoths grip on Chat. The chains holding her down disappear as she leaps up to snatch his staff from his frozen hand, immediately smashing, releasing the akuma.

She catches and releases the butterfly, ending the ordeal moments after being released from the chains. Chat nearly topples over before Ladybug catches him and eases him to the ground. The White suit is replaced with his usual black leather as he rests on Ladybugs shoulder, defeated. "I'm here." she brushes her thumb across his cheek. "I'll always be here."

"So, our Ladybug is Marinette Dupain Cheng..." he laughs darkly, stroking his own Miraculous. "Things just took an interesting turn for the better, Nooroo."

((There will be more parts for this storyline coming! Like and comment and share if you enjoyed!))