Stay With Me (7286 words)

Every. Time.

Never accounted for.

Never where she should be.

It was starting to drive him insane.

Even with his mind going a million different directions as Chat Noir, lately, one solid line of thought was always tied to Marinette's whereabouts.

He knows it's not necessarily right, but Chat unconsciously prioritizes the safety of his classmates, his friends, in the event of an Akuma attack. He always checks up on who he knows is present during an attack, making sure they're as safe as they can be before moving on to others.

And the one person he's never able to track down is Marinette.

Marinette is a self-proclaimed 'clumsy person'; everyone knows this. He's considered the possibility that this makes her prone to becoming an early victim of an Akuma's wrath, before he can get to her.

He's never brought it up to her as Adrien or Chat. Most people don't like to dwell on the moments they were frozen, turned to dust, trapped in a bubble, or turned into a banana, etc.

Anger management and therapists are typically booked up, being among the most sought-after services since Hawkmoth's arrival. Many of his friends attend these services, unashamed, often happy to share what they've learned about themselves.

Marinette has never mentioned attending anything like that. And he figured if she's never brought it up, he'd rather let sleeping dogs lie.

He just wishes he could save her. He has these powers, so he has the responsibility to protect the people he cares about. Even if he didn't have powers, he'd look out for her- for everyone.

And for the past few weeks this invisible line that tied his thoughts to Marinette had become more of a steel cable than a shoestring. Maybe it was because of their trip to New York City, or because they had more classes together now and have grown closer as friends-

So when there's a loud CRASH on the opposite side of the school during their class's lunch break, his eyes immediately find Marinette.

Walking down the stairs into the courtyard, Adrien watches the wave of panic ripple through the students eating on the main floor. Marinette, who was sitting with Alya and Nino, is one of the first to her feet, but she hesitates as students flock to the, hopeful, safety of the classrooms.

Alya and Nino urge her to follow them to their usual hiding spot, but the crowds overtake them, separating her from them.

Adrien all the while is making a beeline towards her, cutting through the people simultaneously going up and down the staircase around him.

With his gaze locked onto her, he watches her head swivel, looking for a direction to run; but where he thought there would be a look of panic, was actually a look of focus and calculation.

Another crash is heard, closer than the first, accompanied by the sound of rushing water.

He pushes himself faster once reaching the main floor, struggling to keep track of her now without his vantage point on the stairs. Catching glimpses of her hair every once and a while, Adrien gets closer and closer, until he finally breaks free of the pack. Catching his breath for a split second before watching Marinette run behind a column near the north entrance.

He raises an eyebrow, unsure why a smart girl like Marinette would choose such a bad hiding spot.

He quickly rounds the column, "Marinette-"

She jumps a foot in the air, a hand clamping on her purse and the other stifling her yelp.

"Sorry!" he holds up his hands in front of him. "But we've got to get somewhere safer, you shouldn't be out in the open like this" he urges, watching the last few students disappear from the courtyard.