Princess Diaries AU (Origins)- 1 (967 words)

((I've never done something like this before, so let's see where this takes us and how it goes together.))

((This will be like The Princess Diaries (one of my fave movies) but with Miraculous characters; a Princess Diaries AU basically. Some characters are switched around but bear with me. Let's go!))

((Update: the continuation of this AU have been moved to its own "story", go to my profile to find it))

"Marinette! Get down here before you're late for school!" Marinette's father calls upstairs from the bakery.

"Coming!" she yells back, shoving her second shoe on her foot while hopping down the hallway; Her loose, black hair swinging back and forth. She smooths her uniform and snags her backpack before heading downstairs to where her father was preparing the baked goods for the shop. She leans over and plants a kiss on his cheek while he continues to frost cupcakes, "Bye, Papa." she says before nabbing a still steaming croissant and heading for the door.

He looks up from his work, "Good luck on your speech today, hon!"

The bakery door closes behind her and she curses under her breath, almost forgetting about the speech for debate class today. She can feel her knees shaking already at just the thought of standing in front of everyone in her class, let alone having to deliver a cohesive argument.

She takes a deep breath, steadying herself before she starts walking down the nearly empty Parisian streets towards school.

"Marinette!" she hears her name called out when she reaches the base of the steps leading to the entrance of the school. She looks up through her long bangs to see her best friend Alya emerge from the crowd of arriving students. Her face lights up and she waves as Alya reaches her. "Hey, girl, are you ready to give your speech?" she nudges her shoulder encouragingly as they walk up the stairs.

Marinette simply groans in response, letting her hair fall around her face.

"You'll do fine, don't worry! When you make your speech, don't look at the people. Pick a spot on the back wall, don't take your eyes off of it," she wraps her arm around her shoulders reassuringly, "and speak loudly."

As they enter the building, Marinette's eyes immediately lock onto the pair of blonds in the corner of the courtyard. There, Chloe Bourgeois was practically hanging off of the guy of her dreams, Adrien Agreste. Seeing them together made her heart break a little bit more each day. He was nothing like her; seeing someone as rotten as Chloe with her sweet Adrien, it was just too much to handle sometimes. She wasn't even sure if they were actually dating, but Chloe sure as heck acted like they were.

"What, you've never seen two idiots make a scene in public before?" Alya pokes Marinette in the side of her head.

She blinks back to reality, realizing she had stopped in the middle of the walkway, just staring across the room. "Sorry," she blushes, moving off to the side with Alya.

She chuckles, "Girl, you got it bad. You can do so much better than Adrien though, I mean, why would you want to associate yourself with that crowd anyway?" they both look back at the corner of the courtyard as Chloe kisses Adrien's cheek.

Marinette's shoulder slump, "You're right." she admits, as Alya is usually right about these sort of things.

The bell echoes throughout the school, signaling the start of the school day. "Ready for debate?" Alya asks, repositioning her bag higher on her shoulder.

"I'm never ready for debate."

"...so this is not a debate, this is a control issue! The school controls our minds with what they teach us, but ya know what? They aren't satisfied with that! I think that the school should dump the uniforms... and we have casual dress all year round!" Kim throws his hands up in the air, throwing the rest of the class into a frenzy of cheers.

"Alright, alright, settle down." Ms. Bustier replaces Kim's spot at the lectern facing the class. The class soon settles to a low rumble of voices, "So now that we've heard from Kim for the affirmative..."

Marinette's hands are balled into tight fists, she leans over to Alya next to her, and "What's my point again?" she asks in a daze of nerves.

"You like our uniforms; They're equalizers." she responds slowly in attempt to calm her friend down.

"... We'll now hear the rebuttal from Marinette Dupain-Cheng." Ms. Bustier announces, stepping back aside.

Marinette screams internally before forcing herself to move to the front of the classroom. Her hands clutch the notecards in her hands. She feels her heart wanting to climb up her throat. Her knees quake right below her skirt hemline. "Um..." she attempts to form words but the lump in her throat and the alarms in her head won't let out a single cohesive thought.

She spies Chloe turn to her friend Sabrina and in a hushed tone say "What a loser. Look at her", still loud enough to make sure Marinette and nearly everyone else hear her comment. A few muffled laughs spring out from the audience at this.

Marinette looks down at her shoes, attempting to block them all out. "C-casual... casual dress..." she attempts to push forward. She looks out to the sea of students again in attempt to find Alya's encouraging face, but she is immediately struck with nausea.

Chloe lets out a loud chortle, "She gonna barf!" she exclaims with no attempt to be subtle anymore. Ms. Bustier shoots her a look, but the damage is already done. The class is in full unrest, laughing and jibing at Marinette's misfortune.

Really on the edge of sickness, Marinette clamps her hand over her mouth and bolts for the door. Her exit is followed by cheers and clapping from the classroom behind her.