First Date (1884 words)

((Preface: Marinette and Adrien do not know each other's identities))

"So, when Adrien said he wanted to 'hang out more', do you think he meant like in class or to study or-"

Alya takes Marinette by the shoulders, "Get a grip, girl." She leads Marinette and sits her down on her bed. It was the day after Chloe's party and Marinette still hadn't calmed down after her dance with Adrien. It didn't help her that Adrien also remarked that they should "hang out more" before parting ways for the night.

Marinette bounces her leg, "I can't!" She buries her face in her pillow, "That dance, our dance," she mumbles into the pillow, "I felt something, something real. I didn't think I could want Adrien more than I already had, but I was wrong, soo wrong."

Alya sits on the bed next to her, smiling, "I could tell. I think I saw something in Adrien's eyes too..." she teases.

Marinette hits her with the pillow, "Don't say that!" She can feel her heart already threatening to jump out of her chest at just the thought. "He was just...nice. It was just a nice moment between friends, nothing more." her smile wavers before collapsing onto the bed again, "Ughh, what I wouldn't give to just live in that moment forever."

A notification on Marinette's phone goes off on her desk. Alya leans over to see what it is and laughs, "Girl, I think the universe heard your plea..."

Marinette bolts upright and scrambles for her phone, nearly dropping it when she sees the notification is from Adrien. "Ahh, what do I do, what do I do, what do I do?"

"Uh, open it." Alya suggests, never getting tired of how head over heels she is about Adrien.

Mari gives a decisive nod before opening the notification. "It's a text! From Adrien!" She reads the message ten times before daring to say the words aloud, "He...he wants to meet up after school tomorrow to get ice cream..." she's frozen stiff, a huge grin plastered on her face.

"That's great, Marinette!" She hugs her, "I'm so happy for you!"

It takes a second before Marinette comes out of her daze, "Wait. Do you think this is like a date?"

Alya laughs, "Heck yeah, girl. You've just got yourself a date with Adrien Agreste."

She freezes up again, falling stiff as a board onto her bed.

"Marinette, time for school!" She hears her mom call from down stairs.

Marinette rises from her bed slowly, groggily. Tikki flies up to her, "Rough night?"

She nods, "I couldn't sleep. I would keep thinking about Adrien and how maybe if it goes great that we would have a second date but it could also go horribly wrong like I make a fool of myself or there's an Akuma-" she's interrupted by a large yawn, "I got hardly any sleep."

Tikki tugs on her hand, "Come on, you've got to get ready for school."

Marinette complies, slowly but surely, she gets herself out the door and on her way to school.

She enters her first class just as the bell rings, sliding in next to Alya. As the lecture starts her eyes are already drooping. Alya elbows her, "Couldn't sleep?"

Marinette shakes her head 'no'.

"How are you planning to stay awake for your date, exactly?"

She straightens up in her seat, "I could never be too tired to go on our date." She rubs her eyes.

The teacher shoots them a look before returning to the lesson.

The final bell rings, signaling the end of the day. Marinette gathers her things from her locker, a tad jittery, unsure if it's from the coffee she had during lunch or the anticipation that had built up over the school day.