Chapter 4

Severus found the first week to be irritating; Potter was all that could be talked about, and if it were not him, then the topic of what transpired between Amilia and himself. He could not take it; he needed to get off castle grounds, and fast. "Headmaster, might I offer to chaperone Hogsmead this weekend."

Dumbledore looked up, as did the woman at his desk. Amilia's chestnut eyes met his, "I will come back later, Albus."

"Of course."

Amilia walked past Severus without looking at him. He caught a whiff of her jasmine shampoo; it was nice to know that had not changed.

"Severus? What seems to be the problem." Dumbledore asked, shifting things around on his desk.

"I need off-campus for a short time."

"I see." the Headmaster nodded, "You are more than welcome to chaperone. How are you doing?"

"What do you mean?"

Dumbledore raised his busy eyebrow at him, "I believe you know what I mean." His eyes lingered on his door.

Severus glanced over his shoulder. He knew she was only waiting outside, waiting to come back and finish what he had interrupted. "I am fine."

Dumbledore looked at him curiously before waving him away. Severus left and walked past her, he could feel her eyes on him, but he did not dare to turn and look at her.

Amilia stood there. She was not sure what to do; she was chaperoning Hogsmead. Did he know that? Is that why he asked? She shook her head, No. That is not why. Stop this. Stop thinking about him. She rubbed her temple as she entered her classroom. She walked right past Peeves, who contemplated which item to relocate. She plopped heavily in her chair and waved her fingers over the bottom drawer of her desk.

Amilia pulled out a bottle and a glass, pouring the amber liquid out and bringing the glass to her lips. It stung, but it helped numb everything. She closed her eyes and sighed. "Please tell me you have not started drinking away your sorrows." Minerva chirped.

Amilia opened her eyes and stared at the woman. "I enjoy one glass at the end of every school week. I used to go out with a few colleagues every week when I was at Ilvermorny."

"I see." Minerva sat down, "How are you?"

"Everyone keeps bloody asking me that."

"Well, we understand that this is stressful for you."

Amilia rolled her eyes. "Albus wants to start setting up. Are you ready?"

"I am yes. Are you?"

Amilia down the last of her drink, "Albus and I need a little more time, but it is better to have everything else in place now instead of waiting."

"Understandable." Minerva stood and fixed her hat. "Well, you had better get some rest tonight."

"Poppy wants to know if you will be joining us for tea Sunday morning."

"I'm bringing tarts."

Amilia lit up. "Raspberry?"

"And lemon." Minerva grinned.

Amilia moaned, "I cannot wait. I have missed your tarts."

"And I missed your company." The two witches smiled at each other. "Well, I'm off."

Amilia sat there and drummed her black nails on her desk. I suppose I should get ready for Hogsmead. She rose from her seat and quickly cleaned out her glass and locked the bottom drawer. I was looking forward to it...but not anymore. She glared at her sitting-room before snatching her green cloak off the hook. A soft hoot and a gurgling croak floated to her ears. Amilia took in a deep breath and turned to the perch. A caramel-colored owl and a jet black raven stared at her, both unblinking. "Oh, come on now, you two. Do not give me those looks." They blinked at her; she sighed and grabbed treats off the shelf, tossing them to the owl. "There, you should rest, Bubbles." Amilia stroked her feathers lovingly and patted her shoulder. The raven bounced happily before taking its place.