Chapter 31

Amilia chewed her cheek as she stood in front of the doors to Lockhart's classroom. Earlier she had escaped Severus's near pleading, "Why do I actually want to do this?" She grumbled to herself. She squared her shoulder and knocked gently, hoping that he would not answer.

"There you are!" The door swung open, and he wore a bright pink suit with a matching cloak. "I was beginning to wonder if you were coming at all."

Amilia smiled, "I would not miss this."

With a sweeping bow, Lockhart welcomed her into his classroom and led the way to his office. "I have here a list of the assignments that I am handing out for the next month, and I have started working on the test." He handed her a stack of papers.

Amilia was pleasantly surprised she had expected him to hand her nothing. "And your lessons?"

"Oh, those, well I have just been reading passages from my books."

"So the students are not getting any real-world application?"

"My dear, my books are the real-world application." He puffed out his chest, "As am I."

"Oh, of course, I meant no offense."

"Ah, yes, well, nevermind that. Come, sit." He waved his wand and a small chair appeared by the fireplace. "I would like to learn more about you."

Amilia smiled briefly before taking her seat. "What would you like to know?"

"Well, I have heard a rumor." Lockhart ran his hand over his hair, smiling broadly at the portrait next to him, who was pointing at her and giving him a thumbs up. "I heard that you were once engaged to Severus Snape and that you may be with him now. Is this true?"

She groaned, "Yes, I was engaged to him. No, I am not with him. I only work with him."

He leaned forward and took her hand in his, "I imagine that must be difficult, working with someone who broke your heart."

She looked up from his hand to his face; he looked sincere, "It can be."

He patted her hand gently before turning in his chair to grab a dish. He pulled off the lid and showed her the colorful candy that glistened in the firelight, "Would you like one?"

"No, thank you." She looked around the room; there was a multitude of portraits, each one doing something different. She squinted her eyes at one to make sure that she saw it correctly; the picture was painting a picture of himself.

"Is it true that you were a Death Eater?"

Amilia scowled, "I do not want to talk about that."

He leaned back in his seat, "Of course, I imagine that would have been a tough thing to deal with. Tell me then, what is your favorite color?"

"Green and purple."

The conversation dragged on for hours, and Amilia had finally gotten away from him; that was excruciating. She kept waving as she walked back down the corridor, Lockhart refused to let her leave on her own, but she had convinced him to only walk her out of his classroom.

"Did you have fun?"

Amilia startled, dropping the papers in her hands. "What have I told you about sneaking up on me!?"

"My apologies," the cold tone in his voice reminded her of how cruel he could be.

Amilia knelt to the ground, gathering the papers, "Why does it matter to you if I had a good time?"