Chapter 180 - The Beginning of the End

.

They rode hard for a day without rest.

Wuxian made sure that they reached Burial Mounds before enough Wraith escaped to cause a problem.

From the disjointed visions he saw on the way, he figured out a few things. This was definitely not what the Wraith King had in mind..

The trapped spirits in the Shoucang Zhe were supposed to be used for a grand spell that will cover the earth in darkness then Biming was supposed to cultivate enough energy to transform his own weapon and free his people. It was a well thought out plan.. Until Mianmian stole the pouch and Wuxian freed the spirits.

The Wraith King had to rush their agenda. He was afraid that Wuxian would reach his full potential before Biming could transform his sword or find another spirit pouch and start spirit collecting once more. So the evil man went with plan B.

Biming was slowly freeing the Wraith in Burial Mounds to help the Dark Knight cover the world in darkness. The King trained an army and his son will lead them to victory. The only problem is.. that Wraith cannot survive under light. The Wraith King wanted to free enough soldiers to cover the sky and pave the way for the stronger ones to follow his son.

Biming looked at the small hole he made and prayed that enough Wraith passed through before Wuxian figured out what's going on. The faceless man was so tired. He wanted this to be over.

Wuxian stopped half way into Burial Mounds.

The patch of land before them was covered in darkness and the thought of going in there to face Biming scared him.

Wangji and Zewu Jun stepped up to his sides and smiled at him.

They took out their swords and moved their fingers over the cold metal, making it shine bright. All other Lan Clan men and women who were traveling with them did the same and they lit the way. Wuxian took his soul-bond's hand when offered and smiled back at him. Hanguang Jun was the bearer of light. He wonders if it was Wangji's destiny to be bonded to him so he would chase away all the darkness in his life.

Wuxian covers his ears suddenly, hiding his face in Wangji's chest in fear.

He can hear the Wraith calling out, screaming as they suffer under the sun.. sacrificing themselves for their brethren.

Wangji worriedly asks: "What is it?"

Wuxian: "The Wraith.. They're so loud.."

Wangji frowns, looking at the darkness that surrounds them. He can't hear anything. When he turns to look at his brother, Zewu Jun shakes his head too.

Wangji: "Wei Ying, can you see them?"

Wuxian peeks around, letting go of Wangji but still holding his hand. All around them, just near where the light is shining unto the darkness, Wuxian can see melted bodies stuck to each other. They move slowly like they're underwater, reaching for those holding their swords but can't get close enough to grab any of them.

Wuxian's eyes widen: "They're trying to reach us. The light is stopping them."

Zewu Jun purses his lips, reaching his limit after seeing the look of fear and disgust on his brother-in-bond's eyes. He pulls a talisman from his robes, activates it and throws it up into the air.

It shines brighter than the sun for a few seconds, making the darkness around them dissipate like a dust cloud.

Wuxian turns to nod at Zewu Jun: "Thank you."

The older man pats his back as they continue their journey, deep into Burial Mounds.

Now that they can see clearly, the source of the darkness was revealed.

A few miles to the right, there was a spot that seemed to be leaking darkness like smoke rising from a burning campfire. They all readied their weapons, walking slowly and steadily towards it.

Wuxian grabs Suzhui and Jingyi's arms and whispers to them worriedly: "Be careful."

Both boys looked determined but nodded their heads.

They efficiently surrounded Biming, who was standing in front of the hole he created. Wuxian tightened his hold on his flute and walked to him. Jinhai and Wen Ning flanked him like guardians while the rest took posts around the open field.

Biming looks around, seemingly unfazed: "Welcome to the beginning of the end, pretty boy."

Wuxian glared at him: "Close the portal, Biming. I know you don't want this either."

Biming glares back, seething between his teeth: "You don't know what I want!"

Wuxian puts his hand out to stop Jinhai when the man flinches, ready to strike: "You seem to forget that I'm the Divine Oracle. I can see and feel what's in your heart."

Biming laughs hard: "Who cares? My hands are tied! Just like yours."

Wuxian steps closer as Wen Ning grabs the back of his robes in worry to stop his advance: "We all have a choice. Your father has been telling you what to do for years and you chose to listen."

Wuxian sees the Wraith King phase behind Biming and stares directly at him and says: "You don't have to listen any more."

Biming scoffs: "Easy for you to say. They're not your family."

Wuxian shakes his head: "They're not your family either. Blood is not what makes a familial bond. None of these people who I call family are related to me. Yet, they would lay their lives down to protect me."

Biming glares at them: "They're fools.. Just like you."

Jinhai whispers to Wuxian: "That's what I said.."

Wuxian elbows him in the chest before continuing: "I am a fool.. but I'm happy with my choices. Are you?"

Biming turns to look at his father and says sadly: "Happiness is not as important as freedom."

Wuxian whispers to him: "Yet you chose their salvation over your freedom. Why?"

Biming: "Wouldn't you?"

Wuxian purses his lips, thinking hard: "I stand for justice, not revenge. The Wraith deserve the hell they're in. Who are we to save them?"

Biming sighs loudly: "Do I deserve to be a Wraith?"

Wuxian cocks his head, motioning for Biming to look at himself: "Maybe not as a child.. But what have you done since the Deities separated you from your parents' sin?"

Biming did not look pleased. He points at his faceless features and says: "So, you think I deserve this?"

Wuxian: "The deities took your face away but gave you the ability to be anyone you wanted to be. You choose to abuse that too. When will you ever learn? When will you stop to think for yourself?"

Biming tightens his hold on his sword: "I made my choice, pretty boy. The only question left unanswered is.. What is yours?"

With the last ultimatum hanging in the air, Biming charged as Wuxian gently takes a deep breath and puts his lips on his Chenqing.

.