Chapter 15 - The Power of Forgiveness

.

Qiren was in the main hall, with Zewu Jin, discussing Lan Clan matters. Since Wangji was busy caring for an ill Wuxian, they both decided to cover his duties in his absence. A disciple hands them a letter of entrance from Jiang Clan requesting audience with Lan Wangji. Grandmaster Qiren reads the letter signed by Jiang Cheng and slams his tea cup down in fury. Before Zewu Jun could react, Qiren gets up and storms towards the gates of Cloud Recesses.

Cheng was waiting patiently at the gate with some disciples from his clan. He sees Grandmaster Qiren approaching the gate and stands straight in shock: 'Why is the grandmaster greeting me instead of Wangji or Zewe Jun?' He and his followers bow deeply in respect to the old man and receive a cold glare in return: "State your business here."

Cheng was thrown off by the cold and disrespectful demand: "Grandmaster, I request an audience with his Excellency."

Qiren: "What for?"

Cheng: "I have a personal inquiry."

Zewu Jun was able to catch up and after exchanging bows, Zewu Jun turned to his uncle: "Uncle, why don't we continue this conversation inside?"

Qiren takes a calming deep breath and turns around, heading towards the Orchid Room. Cheng instructed his companions to stay outside and follows them in.

Once seated, Qiren continues his hostile interrogation towards Cheng: "State your purpose."

Cheng bows his head and replies: "Grandmaster, I was under the impression that Jiang Clan and Lan Clan are in an amicable relationship. May I ask what is the reason behind your displeasure?"

Qiren huffs: "We have no quarrels with Jiang Clan. It is you that I am vexed with."

Both Zewu Jun and Cheng were shocked: "Uncle, what did Leader Jiang do?"

Qiren continues to sneer at Cheng: "He knows what he's done and what he has failed to do."

Cheng was at a loss. He looks at Zewu Jun for clarification but the other just shakes his head with mirrored confusion.

Cheng tries again: "Grandmaster, forgive my ignorance. May you clarify what caused your displeasure with me?"

Qiren lets out a resentful laugh: ".. displeasure? I have no grievances with you. It's your actions that have been made clear to me recently that I cannot condone or let pass without judgment."

Zewu Jun's eyes widened in realization. He looks back at Jiang and says: "Uncle recently performed a Soul Empathy with Wei Wuxian upon his request to join our clan by bonding."

Jiang showed his eagerness: "My brother is here?"

Qiren slams his hand on the table in anger: "You have no right to call him brother!"

At that moment, Wangji announces his arrival and joins them without sparing Jiang Chen a glance: "Uncle, Brother, the disciples can hear your loud conversation from afar and request that I interfere." He glares at Cheng then looks back at his uncle: "Please calm down."

Cheng turns to Wangji: "Your Excellency, where is Wei Wuxian?"

Wangji turns to him with a cold look: "State your business."

Cheng: "I want to see my brother!"

Wangji just glares back with a cold aura. Cheng: "You cannot keep me from seeing him!"

Qiren grabs his sword: "This is our sect and he is our future clan member-in-bond. We will protect him EVEN IF IT STARTS A WAR!"

All three younger men were taken back by the sheer amount of rage coming from the grandmaster. Zewu Jun gets closer to his uncle and places his hand on the arm gripping the sword: "Uncle, be calm. He just wants to visit Wei Wuxian. I doubt he has ill intentions towards his adopted brother. Wangji, is brother-in-bond well enough to receive visitors?"