Chapter 88 - Thank You

.

Wangji made his way back the morning of the third day after the attack. He was greeted by angry glares, judgmental stares and sympathetic nods. He didn't care about what others thought of him. His mind was occupied with only one thought: 'Will Wei Ying recognize me?' He thought he meditated enough to handle whatever reaction that might come from his traumatized soul-bond but in reality he needs Wuxian to be ok with him. He needs it, just like he needs air and water to survive.

He walked past his brother, who was standing outside of their room, and bowed to him. Zewu Jun looked passively at him: "You came back."

Wangji: "How is he?"

Zewu Jun pursed his lips and shook his head. Wangji's heart felt like a stone that was about to sink in the depth of despair.

Wangji swallowed hard and slowly opened the door to their room.

Wuxian was laying on their bed, pale as snow and breathing harshly. Mianmian was gently spreading some type of cream over the fading bruise on his neck, Yuxio was fanning hot water steam towards Wuxian to help his breathing while Healer Shi was checking his broken hand.

Shi glared at the newcomer. When she saw Zewu Jun shake his head behind Wangji, she got up and gestured for the other women in the room to follow her as she made her way out.

Yuxio was the last and she stopped to whisper a threat to Wangji: "If you're not strong enough to protect him and be by his side then don't blame others for filling in your shortcomings. It's not our job to lie for your sake. Do this again and I will hurt you."

Wangji didn't react to her threat. His tunnel vision was focused on one thing: his Wei Ying. Wuxian was floating between sleep and consciousness. He felt people around him, touching him and whispering but he was too tired to open his eyes or hear what they're saying. All of a sudden everything changed. He felt like he was back home. His muddled brain was trying to put its finger on what triggered that feeling and his thoughts were interrupted by a gentle hand caressing his cheek. He opened his eyes and saw the love of his life before him.

Wangji was hesitant over touching Wuxian, but the moment he was near his soul-bond all inhibitions went out the window. He kept moving his thumb over Wuxian's cheekbone, just like he normally does every morning to wake him up. He didn't have to wait long and Wuxian opened his light brown and gold eyes and graced him with the most unrestrained joyous smile he's even seen. Wuxian reached up with his uninjured hand that's holding the headband and placed it over the hand on his cheek, whispering lovingly: "Lan Zhan."

The sound of his name, said with such tenderness and longing broke the taller man. Tears made their way down his eyes and he silently sobbed. He grabbed Wuxian's hand, took the headband from it and kissed every inch of skin from his palm to his wrist while whispering: "Thank you.. thank you.. thank you.."

Wuxian frowned at Wangji's odd behavior: "For what?"

Wangji moved to bury his head between Wuxian's collarbone and shoulder: "For recognizing me.. for waiting for me.. for not dying.."

Wuxian lets out a breathy laugh and strokes Wangji's hair: "You have such low standards."

Wangji couldn't stop his tears. He couldn't deny how terrified he was of being rejected like last time.

Wuxian could sense his soul-bond's distress and started humming their song. He struggled with his short breath and still aching throat but this is the only thing he can do to comfort Wangji at the moment.