Chapter 37 - Night Hunt

.

Wuxian was forced to eat energy boosters and drink potions until Wangji was satisfied that he's well enough to lead a bunch of kids to hunt monsters and spirits in Phoenix Mountain. After eating breakfast and getting ready, Wangj took a long time brushing Wuxian's hair until it started to annoy him: "Lan Zhan! Stop stalling. It's just a night hunt!"

Wangji sighed and placed the jade head ornament on his hair: "Did you prepare the signal talismans like I asked?" Wuxian rolls his eyes: "I made enough to call an army, not just you."

When Wuxian sees Wangji is done, he goes to get up but is pulled back by his wrist into Wangji's lap. He groans: "Now we're manhandling?"

Wangji embraces him and breathes in his scent deeply then whispers: "I hate not having you in my sight. Please be careful. I sense that Jin Clan Leader might have planned something sinister."

Wuxian smiles, caress his cheek and whispers: "I love you."

Wangji's breath hitches and he tightens his hold a little before letting go.

They arrive at the meeting area to watch the disciples warm up. It's the same place Wuxian shot five arrows blindfolded the last time they were here. This time around, he was sitting with the leaders, sipping tea with his soul-bond by his side.

Nei inches closer and whispers behind his fan: "Psst.. Wei!"

Wuxian looks at him: "What?"

Nie: "I drew Lan Clan last night. Any tips on how to handle the giant?"

Wuxian sighs: "Start by not calling him 'the giant'. His name is Lan Bhao and he's my kid. You hurt him, physically or emotionally, and I will chop the rest of your hair off."

Nie gasps and holds his bun: "That's so mean! I'm the one who needs protection from your disciples."

Nie smiles and looks around before whispering: "Do you want to place a bet on who catches more game?" Cheng from the other side pitches in: "Such a good leader, betting against his own Clan." Nie pouts and looks at him: "I'm not! I just want to make this more interesting." Cheng glares at him: "I would stop talking if I were you. Lan Wangji is about to pop a vein." They all look at Wangji at the same time to see him gripping his water cup so hard it's starting to crack. Wuxian laughs awkwardly and takes the cup from his hand: "Lan Zhan, relax. He's just joking." Wangji grabs Wuxian's hand and kisses it before sending Nie a glare. Nie swallows and hides behind his fan while Wuxian blushes and ducks his head to hide it.

Ziyang announces that the preparations are almost done. Each leader made his way to the group they picked to lead. Wuxian was about to walk away from Wangji towards the Ouyang disciples when he was yanked into Wangji's embrace. He tries to push off: "Lan Zhan, what are you doing? People are staring!" Wangji just closes his eyes and pulls him closer to sniff his neck. Wuxian taps his shoulder: "Again with the manhandling? I am not a big fan." Wangji let go and kissed his forehead, cheek then hands. Wuxian sighs louder: "Now we've evolved to public display of affection?" Wangji smiles down at a deeply blushing Wuxian and whispers: "I love you more." Wuxian coughs and almost runs to get away from this awkward situation.

People around them were frozen, staring in shock at how Wangji was acting. But the moment it was over, he glared at them and they all turned around collectively pretending that nothing happened. Cheng groans loudly: "These two are insufferable."

Ouyang clan disciples bowed deeply to greet Wuxian. He smiles at them and asks: "Linao, how is your new title treating you?" She bows again and smiles back: "It's a big responsibility but I am grateful for the opportunity. I hope I don't let you or our clan down."