Chapter 177 - A Son's Sacrifice

.

Wuxian sat with his soul-bond as they ate in silence.

They've been traveling for the past week, following Biming and witnessing his path of destruction. Every time they arrive at a location the finders sent, they are greeted with dead bodies and nothing but flames. Wuxian has been sending spirits off like it's a daily ritual and even though it gives these innocent people closure.. He hated that he had to do it.

It somehow felt like it's his fault.

Wangji stares at his soul-bond as he plays with his food. He's been watching Wuxian closely since they left Cloud Recesses and the smaller man barely ate a full meal.

Jingyi, who was sitting at the table behind Wuxian, fakes a stretch to reach with his chopsticks for one of Wuxian's dishes.

Wangji intercepts his advances by coughing loudly and glaring at the young man. Jingyi ducks his head, laughing awkwardly and slowly returning to his meal.

Wuxian didn't even notice that. He was spaced out more than usual and Wangji was getting worried. The taller man puts his utensil down and whispers to Wuxian: "Wei Ying, would you like me to get you other dishes to try?"

Wuxian blinks a little bit confused then looks down at the mush he created: "Um.."

He swallows hard then smiles sadly at Wangji: "I'm not hungry."

Wangji: "You haven't had a proper meal in days. I'm worried."

Wuxian: "I just.. I miss Hweiru."

The small bluff was partially true.

Wuxian learned from his previous mistake and left Taiho and Bhao to make sure that his little girl doesn't follow them this time. He knows that this journey will not end pleasantly and doesn't want his daughter to be scarred more than she is.

Wangji: "You still need to eat or your body will weaken. We cannot afford a setback after Healer Shi worked hard to heal you."

Wuxian nods, feeling solemn all of a sudden: "I hate seeing dead people all the time. I've lost my appetite from all the horrible visions. When will it all stop?"

Wangji reaches over and holds Wuxian's hand: "It will all end soon. We're close to finding him."

Wuxian doesn't know if he's hoping to find Biming or hoping that they don't. He has seen snippets of Biming's past as they traveled and couldn't help but feel sorry for the man. Biming thought he was doing the right thing at some point in his life by planning to free his people but it blew up in his face. It felt like deja vu to Wuxian. He once tried to do the right thing by returning a favor and helping the Wen Clan. They died, he died and he became the evil everyone feared.

Was he Biming in his past life?

Was that why the deities chose him because he can empathize with the faceless man?

Wangji tightened his hold on Wuxian's hand to get his attention: "Wei Ying?"

Wuxian snapped out of his musing and turned to look at his soul-bond: "What?"

Wangji purses his lips as his worry increases: "You spaced out again."

Wuxian sighs loudly: "I'm tired."

Wangji nods his understanding. They were all tired and emotionally stretched.

Three days late, they were still following the trail of dead bodies when they finally caught up to the faceless man. He came to their camp at night, sneaking in stealthy and looking down at the sleeping Oracle, wrapped in his soul-bond's arms. They chose to camp outside a village Biming destroyed a few days ago to ease Wuxian's mind. Even though the spirits were sent off and the area was cleansed, Wuxian didn't feel comfortable sleeping where the innocents were slaughtered because of him.

Biming kneels next to Wuxian, smiling at the peaceful face of his sleeping opposite. How can a pretty man with such delicate features be his rival? Maybe it was the deities twisted sense of humor, giving his opposite a beautiful face while his is sung about in horror stories.

He reaches slowly to touch the golden hair until he hears the low clank of chains and snaps into action. Wen Ning pushes him back and blocks his view of the now waking up Wuxian: "You don't deserve to look at him, Wraith."

Biming smirks: "Why? You jealous?"

Wen Ning purses his lips and throws his chains to catch him Biming phases in and out, ducking every attempt with ease.

Wuxian's brain took longer than normal to catch up with what's going on. By the time he realized what's happening, Wangji had his sword out and joined the battle.

Wuxian stood back, watching the others around them rise from slumber and join the fight too. A dark figure at the corner of his eye caught his attention and he slowly turned to see who it was. It looked like a dark shadow of a man with melted features. So ugly, that Wuxain almost vomited from just looking at him. The Wraith King's long bony hands with melted flesh extended towards him and whispered: "You can see me, Oracle?"

Wuxian took a few steps back, a little unsettled by the hideous man: "Wraith King.. You look uglier than you sound.."

The king laughs: "Years in the darkness have not served me well."

A burst of energy radiated from the fight behind them and Wuxian spares them a look. It seems like the two sides are both holding their own.

The Wraith King steps closer to the smaller man and examines him: "You are my son's opposite. Why do others fight your battles for you?"

Wuxian looks warily at him: "I am not alone. I am surrounded by my family and loved ones who are willing to fight for me. It's probably a concept a man like you will never understand."

The king smiles: "I am not as callous as the deities deem me to be, young man. I know the value of one's family. I have a son after all."

Wuxian felt another energy burst and felt his heart flutter. He wanted to turn around and join the fight but the presence of the king is not something he can ignore.

He whispers: "You don't understand the gift of fatherhood. A son is someone you sacrifice yourself for, not the other way around."

The King looks behind Wuxian and smirks: "Actions speak louder than words, Divine Oracle. What would you sacrifice to save your son?"

Wuxian felt his veins flood with ice as he turned around and saw Biming's sword penetrating Sizhui's chest, close to his heart.

.