Chapter 81 - Acceptance

.

Wuxian was enjoying an afternoon nap the next day. He was banned from leaving the room and boredom forced him to take it easy and he thought sleeping would help kill time. Wangji left to ensure that it was safe for him to visit the well with Zewu Jun. Meili was invited to stay in the inn while they're here. It would help them a lot not to worry about moving her in and out through the crowd of people who're still hogging the gate. Wuxian had a healing session scheduled tomorrow and when he recovers from that he will visit the well.

Everyone seemed busy so he was content with reading books and gazing out the window, watching people come and go during the day. He just woke up from his nap and stretched his limbs to get rid of the kinks in his joints. He felt arms around his waist and a body behind him inching closer, seeking comfort while trying to avoid his bruises with exaggerated care.

He knew before he opened his eyes that it wasn't his soul-bond. Wangji's cuddles like everything else he does in life; faithfully and wholeheartedly. He was a giver and found bliss in taking care of Wuxian and providing for him. The person currently laying with him in bed was the opposite; vulnerable and dependent. Wuxian places a hand on the arm around his waist and whispers: "Wen Ning, what's wrong?"

Wen Ning didn't reply and just snuggled closer to lightly bury his face in Wuxian's shoulder blade. Wuxian knows that Wen Ning is a sensitive soul. Even after rising from death, he still retained his wallflower personality. Wuxian was still learning how to read Wen Ning and help him deal with his emotions and express them in a healthier way. From all the people in Wuxian's life, Wen Ning is the only one that Wuxian fully and without a shred of doubt would rely on. Their relationship was beyond complicated and if Wangji was a lesser man he would've banned Wen Ning from ever being near his soul-bond. But, for all of his possessiveness, Wangji was not insecure. He encouraged the fierce corpse to take what he needs from his soul-bond and not hold back because he knows how important their bond is. Anyone else would've been dead before they utter an explanation.

Wuxian stroked the arm he can reach and hums his and Wangji's song to calm the emotional man behind him. Patience is what Zewu Jun and Lan Ran told him to exercise with his soul-bond. It's the only solution he has for Wen Ning as well. He will wait until Wen Ning is ready to share.

After a while, Wuxian drifted back to sleep and woke up in a cold bed. He looked around the darkened room to find it empty. He got up and opened the door to find Bhao and Taiho guarding the hallway. Wuxian: "Where is Wen Ning?"

Taiho: "He went to fetch you food from the city. Sizhui told him about a tea house that serves an infamous spicy chicken so he wants to get you some."

Wuxian stepped out to join them at the hall: "Did something happen today?"

Bhao shakes his head: "No. The city occupants have been contained and his Excellency, Zewu Jun and Leader Nia have not returned yet."

Taiho: "The woman you invited stayed with Lady Lou and Yuxio. I saw Yuxio sneak in alcohol so I assume they're drunk by now."

Wuxian didn't know how to ask more specifically without raising suspicion: "Where are Sizhui and Jingyi?"

Taiho: "They're in their rooms. Sizhui said something about cleaning his sword."

Wuxian smiles: "Would you mind summoning them for me?"

Bhao bows and rushes to comply.

A few minutes later, the two boys showed up with food. They set up the table and sat to watch Wuxian eat. He asks: "I thought Wen Ning was fetching me spicy food."