Chapter 40 - The Blame Game

.

Wangji steps into the Fragrance Hall to meet Jin Clan Leader and instead he is greeted by his son Jin Chan. Chan bowed and looked nervously at Wangji: "Your Excellency, it seems that my father has been poisoned. Last night, he exhibited the same symptoms as Treasure Wei and we were able to cure him in time. He will make a full recovery and will be able to rejoin us for the final banquet that's postponed to tomorrow tonight."

Wangji stares blankly at the young cultivator: "Why wasn't I informed of this earlier?"

Chan swallows hard: "We didn't want to disturb you while you were caring for your soul-bond. Forgive our tardiness."

Wangji: "Did you start an investigation on who would possibly benefit from poisoning your leader and our Treasure?"

Chan shakes his head: "Not yet. Father asked me to wait. He wants to handle this himself."

Wangji glares at the young man: "Take me to your Clan Leader."

Chan nods timidly and leads the way to his father's quarters. Once there, they found a pale Ziyang sitting at his table being tended to by another healer and drinking the same potion used to treat Wuxian.

After exchanging pleasantries, Wangji joins him at the table: "Jin Clan Leader, how is your health?

Ziyang: "I am better, thank you. How is Treasure Wei?"

Wangji nods and silence settles between them.

Ziyang: "I heard that Treasure Wei was affected by the poison more than I. Has the master healer figured out why?"

Wangji: "He used his spirit energy which escalated the spread of the poison."

Ziyang nods his understanding.

Wangji: "Jin Clan Leader, have you given any thought as to who would target the two of you specifically?"

Ziyang: "Treasure Wei and I don't share any enemies or have any history in common. The only logical thing I can come up with is that one of us was collateral damage. From Treasure Wei's dark history, it seems I was just in the way."

Wangji glares at Ziyang: "My soul-bond was poisoned in your Sect, under your roof and possibly by one of your clan members. I expect this to be resolved before we leave."

Ziyang bows his head: "There is no need for heightened emotions, your Excellency. Jin Clan will pursue this matter until it's resolved. After all.. I was poisoned too."

Wangji was unnerved by the minute dark smirk that flashed on Ziyang's face. A less controlled man would've stricken him dead but Wangji nods and leaves, hoping that this new piece of information could help narrow their search for their culprits.

After the healer was able to stabilize Wuxian, Wen Ning was back at his post guarding the sleeping man. The healer decided to add more sedatives to his potion to keep him calm and asleep for the next two days. So far he has not woken up long enough to speak to anyone, so Wen Ning was on high alert in guarding his incapacitated soul-brother. He bows to the healer when he walks in to check on Wuxian: "Master Healer, may I ask for a favor?" The healer looks wearily at him ten nods. Ning: "You mentioned that my clan's possessions are stored here. Did you by any chance see some of those items?"

The healer moves to face him: "Are you looking for something?"

Wen Ning bites his lips and nods: "My sister was the best healer in our clan. She learned under many masters and combined their knowledge to invent new ways to aid the sick and weak. One of her greatest achievements is creating a set of golden needles for acupuncture that's infused with spiritual energy. She carried it with her everywhere. Jin Clan took it from her before she was executed and I was hoping to have something of hers to add to our clan shrine. Would you help me find it?"