Chapter 127 - The Title

.

Wangji was confused. Everytime he thought he understood his soul-bond, the smaller man changed the game to keep him on his toes. He is currently watching Wuxian play in their room with their daughter. They just finished breakfast and Healer Shi checked on Wuxian. She said that he was better but should take it easy by staying warm indoors and relaxing if possible.

The Slayer was coming today to fight Wen Ning. What confused Wangji was how calm and nonchalant Wuxian was acting. Normally, his soul-bond would be pacing and talking a mile a minute, filled with pent up nerves. The man laughing and playing make-believe with his daughter was as relaxed as Wuxian could ever be. Wangji sipped his tea: 'Maybe he knew something he forgot to share?' The smaller man had the tendency of keeping secrets or forgetting to share information.

Someone knocks on the door and Keeper Daozi enters, followed by a few disciples carrying big loads of clothes. The old man kisses Wuxian's ring hand and puffs his chest with pride: "It's done! I think you will like the new clothes." Wangji watched Wuxian's smile widen as he examined the new robes made for him. Most of them are a combination of dark blue and white with Cloud Recesses signature clouds embroidered on them. Hweiru clapped her hands, clearly loving the new clothes: "I want to wear clothes like Mama!"

Keeper Daozi looks at Wangji and Wuxian and when he receives their approval, he kneels down to her level and says: "Little girl, you like the clothes I made?"

She nods enthusiastically: "Mama looks good in everything."

Wuxian blushes a little. Daozi pats her shoulder: "I will make you a deal: If you want clothes that look like Treasure Wei's then you have to help me make them."

Hweiru jumps in her spot excitedly: "DEAL!"

Wuxian thanks the Keeper and they made a schedule for his daughter to learn new things from the Keeper. A disciple informs them that the Slayer just entered Cloud Recesses and Wuxian stood up and took a deep breath. He turned around and put his hands out for the two most important people in his life: "Come on. Let's go."

Hweiru bounced to take one hand and Wangji smiled while entwining his fingers with the other. They reached the training grounds to find everyone waiting for them, including all the clan leaders who chose to stay to witness the fight.

Zewu Jun made sure that there was a shaded area for them to sit under so Wuxian doesn't have to stay standing the whole time. Wangji took him there. Wuxian sat between Zewu Jun and Wangji with his daughter in his lap. Wangji addressed the crowd: "Brothers and sisters, we are here today to witness the duel between the representative of Shenhua Clan and the Guardian of the Divine Oracle. This fight was suggested by the Oracle to determine the rightful owner of the title of The Guardian. The fight will continue until death or until one of them surrenders. You are all welcome to watch but you must not interfere. If you have any objections, speak now."

When they receive no response from the crowd, Jinhai approaches Wuxian and kneels: "Divine Oracle, I hope the outcome of this duel does not affect the deal we made when we last met?"

Wuxian tightens his hold on his daughter: "I will keep my word if you keep yours."

The Slayer nods and moves to the open area. Wen Ning walked from his post behind Wuxian, kneeled before him, holding his hand and kissing it. Wuxian affectionately pats his head while smiling: "Remember, I love you no matter what happens. Just do your best and make me proud." Wen Ning smiles back and walks away to face the Slayer. Jinhai takes out his spear and Wen Ning summons his chains. The place was eerily silent until the Slayer dealt the first strike.