Chapter 87 - Setback

.

Healer Shi was curled up outside of Wuxian's room. She convinced herself that it's a short break to rest her eyes but in reality she was desperate for a few seconds to rearrange her thoughts. It's been two days since Wuxian ended up in her care and things have been going downhill for the fragile man.

For the last couple of days, things have been hectic. Shi made sure that Wuxian was sedated to give his wrist time to heal without movement and control his level of pain. She knew the internal bleeding would've been hell if he was awake enough to feel it. She also made sure that the people attending to him were all women: Yuxio, Mianmian and herself. She didn't know how affected Wuxian would be over the public loss of control and humiliation the evil man put him through and she wasn't willing to take a chance in making him uncomfortable for now. Women are less intimidating and always a go-to when it comes to dealing with this type of situation.

Zewu Jun and the young disciples have made a camping rotation outside Wuxian's room. She didn't have the heart to shoo them away. Wen Ning was a constant presence and was the most helpful. At the end of the day.. none of this mattered. Wuxian was slowly declining into what she dubbed: the red zone. She was a cultivator healer. Not a basic "using herbs and remedies" type of doctor. Doubt is starting to color her thoughts with ugly shades and she's losing her confidence as Wuxian's abdomen bruise is starting to spread. She was too scared to admit it but.. little rabbit is going to die if they don't do something soon.

Yuxio was currently with Wuxian. Her heart ached fiercely over what happened to her grandmaster. She was a firm believer of karma, but the sick man before her did not deserve this type of treatment or the pain he's in. When she saw the damage done to her grandmaster's body, Fu Shi almost had to sedate her to calm her down. This is not fair and she vowed to herself that someone will pay even if it's the last thing she ever does.

Shi ordered Yuxio to dip a clean cloth in hot water and use it to wipe Wuxian's extremities to clean and warm him up. The small man was cold beyond normal from the blood loss and the shock he went through a few days ago. He might enjoy calling her a pervert but when push comes to shove, she would put her life on the line to protect this man. Her loyalty is rare and she never fails the ones who deserve it.

She looks up to see Wuxian fully awake for the first time in many days. Yuxio warmly smiles at him and whispers: "You're awake."

Wuxian tries to speak but from the vivid bruise on his neck and the wince that graced his face, she can assume that he won't be able to for a while: "It's ok. You don't have to talk. Just rest and let us take care of you for a while."

Wuxian blinks tiredly at her then focuses his gaze at something behind her. She turns her head and sees Bichen leaning on the wall. No one had seen Hanguang Jun since he left in a fit of rage a few days ago. Sect Leader Nie assured them that he will return after he cools off. Healer Shi made sure they all know the lie they're going to feed the hurt man in their care.

As predicted, Wuxian weakly shows her the Lan Clan headband in his hand in a silent question about his soul-bond's whereabouts. She plastered on her best fake smile and said assuredly: "He just stepped out for a while. He'll be back soon."

Wuxian stared at her for a while then scrunched his eyes shut. He weakly taps her arm to get her attention: "What's wrong?"

Wuxian points to his side. Yuxio tenderly smooths his hair back and says: "It hurts?"

Wuxian nods frantically and continues to point at his side. Yuxio knows that Healer Shi fed Wuxian painkillers regularly. This shouldn't be happening. She places her hand on his forehead to calm him down: "Alright, I'll go find Healer Shi. She will help."