Chapter 144 - Domestic

.

Li Liang was confused. It seems like everyone around the Divine Oracle worship the ground he walks on but he is not in charge. He wasn't the one running the show, the older man seems to be in control: Zewu Jun. One of the younger disciples explained it to him: Zewu Jun is Wuxian's advisor and brother-in-bond. He was also the previous leader of Lan Clan before he passed on the task to Lan Wangji.

Liang requested a meeting with the older man and after drinking the tea offered to him, he hesitantly asked: "Zewu Jun, do you mind if I read your fortune?"

Zewu Jun was surprised. He did not expect such a request from Liang. The fortune teller sees his hesitation and smiles: "It seems you're the most giving one from those who traveled here. I just want to gift you something in return."

Liang extended his hand across the table and watched Zewu Jun slowly grab it. Liang sensed his emotions very clearly: "Why are you so confused?"

Zewu Jun: "No man exists with total clarity."

Liang raised an eyebrow: "You don't have to be defensive. I'm trying to help."

Zewu Jun purses his lips and says: "I've made many choices in the past year that I don't regret but worry over my.. adequacy in performing them."

Liang nods and closes his eyes: "You will find a new purpose in a few months. All you have to do is wait."

Zewu Jun smiles: "Brother Wei hates it when I tell him to wait. Now I understand how he feels."

Liang frowns: "The deities are showing me an answer but I don't understand what it means.."

Zewu Jun was intrigued: "What are they saying?"

Liang: "Don't underestimate what one might do to seek liberation. One man's salvation is another man's doom."

Zewu Jun: ".. interesting."

Liang lets go and says: "I don't understand what they mean but I hope it helps."

Zewu Jun scratches his chin: "I will meditate on it later. I'm sure it will make sense once the situation is clear to me."

Liang feels a little more confident and asks: "About the Divine Oracle.."

Zewu Jun: "What about him?"

Liang: "He's soul-bonded?"

The corner of Zewu Jun's lip twitches, threatening to turn into an amused smile: "He is. To my younger brother."

Liang seems awkward: "Oh.."

Zewu Jun: "Brother Wei is admired by many which makes my brother very jealous. Please don't take his aggression seriously. He threatens me sometimes even though we're family."

Liang seems disappointed but nods anyways.

Wuxian was looking anxiously at his soul-bond as he puts on his shoes. He's been waiting for the right time to ask him something and this is the last chance before Wangji finishes wearing his footwear and leaves to do whatever it is he does as the Excellency. Wuxian takes a deep breath and decides to be direct by walking towards Wangji and plopping on his lap to stop him from leaving. Wangji instinctively wrapped his arms around Wuxian's waist and looked at him in confusion.

Wuxian silently starts fussing over Wangji's robes and headband until the taller man grabs his wandering wrists and brings them down between them: "What's wrong?"

Wuxian sighs: "Nothing.. I just.."

Wangji kisses his hands and smiles tenderly at him, waiting patiently for him to summon the courage to ask whatever it is he wanted to ask.