Chapter 120 - Jinhai

.

Wuxian didn't expect things to change so drastically after Yuxio's confession. It seems like Zewu Jun and his soul-bond took her accusations to heart and their promises to him were not empty gestures. Keeper Daozi cornered Wuxian early in the morning, dragging a few disciples who are carrying different fabrics and pattern designs. Apparently, Wangji ordered the keeper to redo Wuxian's outfits based on what he wanted. Daozi actually had to go to Gusu City to find colors that might appeal to the Oracle.

Wuxian's mouth hung open as Daozi overwhelmed him with options. Lan Ran, who was sitting with him when this was all dumped on him, tried her best to hide her laughter over how confused Wuxian was. She said: "Just pick what you like. His Excellency wouldn't ask Keeper Daozi if it wasn't allowed."

Wuxian felt uncomfortable: "What if father sees it and disapproves? I'm the Clan Treasure. Keeper Daozi has been dressing me up like a festival tree since I accepted that title. We can't just change it up on a whim!"

Keeper Daozi got the gist of Wuxain's situation from Zewu Jun. Once it was pointed out to him, he saw the subtle hints of Wuxian's deep depression. The Treasure of their clan is an amazing man. He of all people deserves to be happy.

Daozi pats Wuxian's shoulder: "If it makes you feel more comfortable, you can tell Grandmaster Qiren that I chose the new clothes for you. He wouldn't dare complain to me."

Wuxian shakes his head: "You're a good man. You don't deserve to be punished."

Daozi laughed hard: "He won't punish me! I run this place. I manage the food, the clothes and keep the grounds. Unless he wants to eat plain rice, wear torn up clothes and live in a dusty room, he will accept what I make for you."

Wuxian chuckles at the man: "Blackmail! I like it."

Wuxian didn't exaggerate with his choices. He kept at least one white element in most of the new clothes, but chose to have lighter, more comfortable form-fitting attire instead of the flowy and flashy ones he's been forced to wear. He hated being shown off like a fair maiden every time someone visits. He also had his red hair ribbon back. Daozi braided it into his hair while keeping the white jade ornament on his head. For the first time in a while, Wuxian looked at himself in the mirror and saw glimpses of his old self.

Daozi made his way out after he promised to have his new clothes ready soon. Lan Ran smiled at Wuxian as he continued to play gently with the red ribbon in his long hair: "Does it mean that much to you?"

Wuxian: "When I was adopted by the former Jiang Clan Leader, his wife got angry when Shijie dressed me in Jiang Clan colored robes. She said that sons of servants should know their place and dress according to their status."

Ran frowned: "That's awful."

Wuxian chuckled: "I picked red and black robes to stand out and it made her so angry. It was the first thing I ever did to stand up for myself and that feeling.. The feeling of control made me happy."

Ran: "So it's a reminder."

Wuxian nods: "Yes, a reminder that I am still in control. After all these years.. it still makes me happy."

The moment was broken when his students walked into the Treasure room, looking somber. He sighs loudly and says: "Let me guess.. None of you found the last stone?"

They all nodded. Wuxian stood up and picked it up from a book shelf: "I'm not sure if I should be disappointed at your incompetence or my failure as a teacher."

Jingyi points his finger accusingly at Wuxian: "YOU SAID IT WASN'T IN YOUR ROOM!"

Wuxian screams back: "SURPRISE! I lied. People lie all the time! It was on display in front of you the whole time. You ran around like headless goats when all you had to do was pay attention! For over a week, it's been sitting there..YOU SPEND MOST OF YOUR TIME HERE!"