Chapter 90 - The Coat

.

They made it on time to Qinghe City. Thanks to Nie Huaisang, the people in this city were cordial and very welcoming. They threw flowers at Wuxian's carriage and cheered happily as he made his way to the inn Nie secured for them. Wuxian felt special and the heartburn he sensed knowing that Zewu Jun and Wangji bribed Luxia City eased a little.

Nie welcomed them at the door and showed them to their rooms. It was getting late so they agreed to meet in the morning to debrief before Wuxian's healing session. They will leave to Cloud Recesses as soon as he is well enough to travel. The smaller man still took mild painkillers for his broken hand. He sat on his bed that night, watching Wangji move around and arrange things for the morning.

Wuxian blinks slowly and says the first thing that came to him: "You kissed me in front of everyone."

Wangji stopped what he was doing and turned to look at his half asleep soul-bond: "I did."

Wuxian: "We agreed to no more public display of affection."

Wangji tried to hide a proud smirk as he turned to resume his task: "It was an emergency."

Wuxian sighs deeply: "I get a free pass for this."

Wangji frowns: "Free pass?"

Wuxian lays down: "Yes, a free pass. You don't get to manhandle me without consequences. I have my pride to protect."

Wangji sits next to his soul-bond and looks down at him with a smile: "You don't need a free pass to do as you please. I am yours."

Wuxian tsks and turns away grumbling: "Sentimental fool."

The next morning, Wuxian and Wangji joined the rest at the inn's big eating area. Nie debriefs them on the contained situation in Luxia City and gives them his word to keep an eye for any rumors pertaining to Wuxian. The smaller man feels guilty and looks sadly at Nie: "Brother Nie, I'm sorry for causing a commotion in your sect."

Nie waves his fan in dismissal: "They should be kneeling at your feet, thanking you for saving their lives. I'm sorry they're too ignorant to appreciate your sacrifices."

Wuxian sighs and rubs his broken arm: "I don't care for praises. I just hoped we could have solve this problem more.. smoothly."

Nie nods then remembers something: "Brother Wei, forgive me for asking but during the fight and the drama afterwards, we didn't get a chance to hear what transpired between you and the evil man."

Everyone in the room was too considerate to ask. They all wanted to know what happened. Wuxian looks down and says in a low voice: "He said that I ruined his plans so I must compensate him. Apparently, he was the same person who kidnapped the Mother Tree's son which explains the black leaf from my vision. He.. he smelled her blessing on me and said he can taste the power under my skin. He told me that he has no face but has the ability to mimic anyone's face as long as he knows their birth name and what they look like."

Zewu Jun nods: "So when you called my brother by his birth name he was able to copy his features?"

Wuxian nods, eyes filled with shame. Wangji wraps his hand around Wuxian's waist and pulls him closer to his side in comfort.

Wuxian looks down at Da Ziran then says: "Da Ziran says that he cannot copy my features since it's a visual representation of the power the Earth Deity bestowed upon me. Even if he tried, he won't be able to copy the color of my eyes, hair and skin."

Zewu Jun nods: "That's a relief. Just to be safe, no one is to use their birth names in public from here on out."

They all nod in agreement.