Chapter 163 - Fireflies

.

There are things in life that make no sense but feel so right. It's like meeting someone for the first time and knowing that they're made for you. It's like that feeling you get when a stranger's child holds your hand with so much trust that your soul melts and your resolve to protect awakens. It's not quite like deja vu. It's more like an instinct that you had all your life but it laid dormant until the right moment presented itself.

Wuxian walked slowly across Cloud Recesses until he reached the gates. People sensed a calming aura wafting around the young Oracle as he made his way out and they couldn't help but follow, craving more of that comforting feeling after the hard battle they had to endure.

No one spoke. No one cared to voice their confusion, fearing that whatever this spell was would break.

Wuxian's beating heart ached when he finally stood between the dead bodies of his fellow cultivators. He did not know which were the Shenhua Clan and which were the rogue faction. They all looked the same and their vain death hurt him equally.

The thought that these opposers fought and died because of him brought tears to his eyes. No one deserved such a meaningless death. He noticed that the line of people who followed him from Cloud Recesses gave him space and he slowly brought his flute to his lips and played a song he never played before.

He remembers the melody from his vision. Slow, soothing and consoling to those angry spirits. His hair glows in waves, sending energy to his flute and in turn carrying the melody as far as the sea of bodies spread. Da Ziran sensed his wishes and transformed into millions of tiny fireflies, freeing the dead and guiding them to the afterlife.

The Divine Oracle doesn't want anyone to suffer on his behalf, even if they attacked his family and attempted to kill him many times. He hears the spirits whisper to him as they pass along, confessing their sins and mistakes.

"We stole the book of prophecies from Shenhua Clan.."

"We broke the oath.."

"We spoke to the Wraith.."

"We killed the young finders.."

"We found the reincarnated shaman.."

"We told him how to find the answers.."

Wuxian felt a few tears roll down his cheeks as he continued to play. These people were human.. We all make mistakes for the greater good. He felt sorry for them.

When the last body glowed and scattered into tiny bits of light and disappeared, Wuxian stopped playing. He looks around, glad that he was able to help them somehow.

Shenhua Kai walks slowly towards him, covered in blood and grimacing in barely contained sorrow. He kneels before Wuxian and offers him his spear: "Divine Oracle, we fulfilled our duty in protecting you."

Wuxian looks blankly at him: "I don't know if I should thank you or curse you. You didn't have to kill all those people."

Kai raises his head to smile sadly at him: "They were my family once. But a sick limb that won't heal must be cut off or the rest of the body will never recover. My father ordered me to do it so our clan will no longer be divided and tarnished by civil war."

Wuxian moves closer to him and places his right hand on his head. The ring shines and Kai takes in a deep breath and starts weeping. The Oracle used his gifts to share the happy memories he saw from the dead with the young man before him. When Wuxian steps back, Kai smiles at him: "Thank you."

Wuxian shakes his head: "Don't thank me, Shenhua Kai. We're even and I pray to all that is holy that we never meet again."

Da Ziran returns to her snake form and slithers on the Divine Oracle's body as he returns to join the Lan Clan disciples that followed him out.

Days passed by as things started to settle down. Wuxian was over the moon with what his body can do now. He was able to play with his daughter and lift her up without any problems. He can finally practice his sword with his son and cast spells and activate talismans with his disciples. He even took the time to work with Yuxio and Jinhai.. separately. He learned early on that the two loathe each other. Yuxio's outspoken personality and Jinhai's callous disposition clashed from the first few minutes of being in the same space. Wuxian made a point to separate Jinhai from the rest from that point onwards.

Wangji's wound healed nicely and after three days, he woke up in the morning feeling a pressure on his body. Wuxian was straddling him and leaning forwards to look mischievously a few inches away from his face. Wangji blinks in confusion, a little bit worried: "What?"

Wuxian traces his finger on Wangji's nose: "Well.. since you're healed and I'm healed.."

Wangji cuts him off: "You haven't healed fully yet. You need to eat more and meditate."

Wuxian shrugs: "Semantics.."

Wangji almost crosses his eyes, trying to track Wuxian's finger on his face as he continues: "I was thinking.. Maybe you would like to have a friendly duel?"

Wangji frowns at Wuxian: "You might have your spiritual energy back but you still don't have your golden core."

Wuxian pouts: "I have three first-class weapons. If anyone is at a disadvantage, it's you!"

Wangji loops his arms around Wuxian's waist and kisses the finger that was near his lips: "Maybe later.."

Wuxian leans his arms on Wangji's chest and pretends to voice his thoughts out loud: "Maybe Lan Jinhai is up for the task.. I mean.. People are talking and most of them think that he's stronger than you anyways.."

Wuxian yelps when gravity shifts and he finds himself underneath his soul-bond. Wangji glares down at Wuxian: "Don't mention another man's name while we're in bed."

Wuxian smothers a laugh and says: "I can't help it. He listens to me.."

His lips were captured in a hungry kiss and Wuxian forgot his line of thoughts.

He smiles as his soul-bond continues to worship him as they lay happily in bed.

..But deep inside.. he knew that this was the calmness before the storm..

.