Chapter 78 - Hide

.

Taiho was in charge of the other disciples. Zewu Jun gave them a task: document the traffic of people coming and going around the blessed well. He diligently organized shifts of two people around the clock to monitor the location and write down hourly counts.

It's been two days and so far it appears that there is a clear routine happening around the well. Food and wine sellers would show up early in the morning to get their share. Families and worshipers show up around noon and afternoon to line up and take their fill while other merchants who need water like blacksmiths and fabric makers are pushed back to receiving their share at night. Overall, the well is never free or out-of-service. The only slight decrease in traffic is noticed at night since merchants don't need water refills daily.

Taiho was good at spotting details and marking information. He worked with his grandfather, Keeper Daozi, since he was young and hopes one day to take over his position. He needed to be meticulous with as much details as possible, especially if Treasure Wei's safety is involved. The people who live in this city were well informed about the Divine Oracle's changed appearance and gifts. He heard many of them talk about Wuxian openly while waiting in line and he had no doubt that if they found out that he's here.. things could get ugly. They believed in the supernatural. He wouldn't put it past them if he believed that Wuxian is more than a human with blessed gifts.

Taiho took the book they wrote all the information in to Zewu Jun and watched him leaf through the information. When he was done he asked: "What do you recommend?"

Taiho was not expecting to be consulted. He hesitated for a second then said: "The darkness of night is a blessing to those who seek shelter. Even though the amount of people who visit the well at that time are still considered great, the others will be sleeping should a problem arise. Less audience, less people to contain. Plus, we can use the darkness as an extra precaution to hide his.. noticeable features."

Zewu Jun thinks for a second then says: "I see the logic but it might be hard on Wei Ying, especially with his current state of health. He needs a full night sleep to function properly."

Zewu Jun went through the book one more time then closed it, looking at Taiho with a smile: "Thank you boys for the detailed information. I will confer with the others and let you know what course of action we will take."

Taiho bows and leaves.

Zewu Jun took the book to share with Wangji, Wuxian and Nie. Nie voiced his concerns: "I don't think the hood of your coat is enough to hide your identity. Based on the intel your disciples brought us, these people know who you are very well."

Wuxian: "Do you have any suggestions?"

Nie: "How about we use dye to change your hair color to black? That should throw off most people who are not close enough to see your eyes."

They hear Wangji unsheathes Bichen and glare daggers at Nie. He opens his fan, hides behind it and whispers in fear: ".. or not."

Wuxian sighs: "That won't be practical for a long period of time. Besides, I'm starting to think that my hair has a mind of its own. Everytime I try to hide it or cover it, it always ends up loose and in the forefront."

Zewu Jun: "If you feel up to it, Taiho suggested we visit the well around midnight. The darkness and the hood should be sufficient in hiding your identity."

Nie: "I still think we should inform the city council of your presence here. They could help us contain the situation should the need arise."

Zewu Jun shakes his head: "Grandmaster Qiren made it clear that that is not an option unless we have no other choice."