Chapter 60 - Valor

.

Grandmaster Qiren and Zewu Jun were sitting in silence. They often enjoyed each other's company even if no words were exchanged. Unfortunately, this time the silence was induced by the heavy knowledge Healer Shi shared with them a few hours ago. Qiren thought that finding the healer would be the toughest part in fulfilling his promise to his son but it seems the road ahead is covered with obstacles.

Zewu Jun broke the silence: "What are we going to do? Wuxian doesn't have many connections. If we were able to convince him into going through with this procedure, how are we going to find a third person to help rebuild his energy container?"

Qiren sighs in frustration: "Write a letter to his brother."

Zewu Jun was skeptical: "Jiang Cheng?"

Qiren nods. Zewu Jun: "Healer Shi told us that since he's the recipient of the golden core, he is definitely not a compatible candidate."

Qiren: "All the people we suggested are either too young, lack a solid connection or lack the proper type of spiritual control. Do you have any other solution?"

Zewu Jun bows: "I will send the letter today."

Qiren stares wearily at his nephew: "Xichen, it's been so hectic since Wei Ying joined our clan that I haven't asked about your wellbeing in a while. How are you faring?"

Zewu Jun rubs his forehead and chuckles: "I don't know. I thought by handing over the clan business to Wangji I would have time to meditate and resolve my issues but honestly I've been more busy lately than when I was handling the Lan Clan's affairs."

Qiren smiles at him: "It takes a tribe to handle a man like Wei Wuxian."

Zewu Jun smiles back: "It's the most rewarding job I've had in many years."

Qiren: "Would you mind if I appoint you as the Divine Oracle's Official Consultant?"

Zewu Jun: "I would be honored."

Qiren pats his shoulder: "May luck be on your side."

Wuxian woke up disoriented. He doesn't remember falling asleep. One look out the window confirms that it's mid day. Why was he napping mid day? The last thing he remembered was listening to Healer Shi explain the procedure needed to fix his compromised energy container. Wuxian sat up and looked around. For the first time in many days, he is actually alone. What happened?

He hits his head with his hand trying to remember and a fleeting memory struck him. Loneliness.. longing.. fear of separation. These were definitely not his feelings. He grabs his hair in frustration and growls: "Damn Earth Deity.. What did you show them now?"

He got up in a hurry and ran out without wearing his robes, clad only in pants and tunic. His only thought is to find his soul-bond. Barefoot, he ran to the library, main hall, all the rooms he can think of and even the cold spring. He was met with shocked expressions and people trying to stop him with no luck. Wen Ning was following him in silence, blocking others from interfering and making sure he doesn't hurt himself in the process.

Wuxian found his soul-bond meditating among the rabbits in the back mountain. He lets out a sigh of relief then hesitates for a second before making his way towards him. He sat a few paces away, nervous. Wangji clearly chose this place to be alone. Wuxian swallowed loudly and inches further away to give his partner more space. A strong wind passes by, reminding Wuxian of his state of undress.

Wangji opens his eyes and says: "Come closer."

He wraps his hands around himself while he shivers and says: "It's.. It's fine. I'll wait until you're done meditating."