Chapter 44 - The Last Phoenix Warrior

.

Wuxian felt much better the next day. He stepped out of his room and froze. Yuxio, who apparently had a death wish, was waiting outside his room sleeping on his doorstep. He steps back quietly and whispers to Wen Ning: "That's the pervert."

Wen Ning whispers back in shock: "The pervert is a woman?"

Wuxian turns around when Wangji coughs loudly in irritation.

Yuxio woke up startled by the loud cough and turned to greet the men. After bowing she rushed in to grab Wuxian's hand and was blocked by Biched's handle. Wangji glared at her: "No touching."

She sighs loudly in irritation: "Are these rules written somewhere I don't know about?"

Wuxian looks passively at her: "What do you want?"

She smiles at him and says: "Can I accompany you today?"

Wangji glares at her: "No."

She whines: "Why? I can protect him!"

Wangji steps into her space, glaring down at her: "It is not your duty to protect my soul-bond."

She smirks back at him: "I did yesterday, when the kids you sent with him failed."

Wuxian grabs Wangji's arm and sighs: "Lan Zhan, ignore her. I don't think she means harm."

She peeks around Wangji to smile happily at Wuxian. He shivers and pushes Wen Ning to hide behind him: "I take it back.. She's creepy."

She looks back at Wangji with a glare and says: "I can protect him better than the inexperienced boys assigned to him yesterday."

Wangji steps back and demands: "Name?"

She bows and says: "I'm Yu Yuxio, senior disciple of Jiang Clan."

Wangji stares blankly at her and after a few minutes of assessing her he says: "Wen Ning is Wei Ying's guardian. He is undefeated."

She huffs and points behind Wangji: "That's him?"

Wen Ning folds his arms and stares at the woman who looks doubtful of his skills.

Wangji nods. She squares her shoulders and proudly declares: "If I beat him, will you let me be Treasure Wei's guardian too?"

Wuxian screams from the back: "WHAT? NO!"

Wangji glares at the overconfident woman before him and Wen Ning laughs: "I'm a fierce corpse that cannot feel pain, be poisoned or die. Are you sure you want to challenge me?"

She smirks at him: "Why? Are you scared?"

Wangji turns around, grabs Wuxian's hand and drags him out. Yuxio followed them: "Wait! Where are you going?"

Wuxian looks worriedly at Wangji and whispers: "Lan Zhan, calm down."

Wangji dragged him all the way to Swords Hall, followed by a protesting Yuxio, followed by an amused Wen Ning. They all enter, welcomed by Cheng until he sees his disciple following them: "YOU! You should be training the younger disciples! Are you harassing my brother again?"

Wangji glares at him: ".. again?"

Wuxian coughs hard to get his attention and shakes his head at Cheng. Cheng gets up and moves towards them. With a resigned sigh he asked: "What did she do now?"

Wen Ning smiles amusedly: "She challenged me for the title of guardian of Treasure Wei."

Cheng turns and yells at her: "ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?"