Chapter 50 - Wisdom and Warnings

.

By midday, a big flock of white birds emerged from the sky and started to cover the area. A voice echoes into the minds of everyone present: "Cultivators, you are present today to be judged by the Earth Deity. Kneel!"

They all kneeled and after a few minutes the voice returned: "The Divine Oracle stands among you. We called upon the worthy to see who's fit to hold the title and have his or her powers awakened. Whoever wishes to be judged may stand at will. Your past intentions will be revealed to us and we will part the worthy with words of wisdom. Those who are too young will receive nothing and those who are evil will be warned."

Slowly, people started to stand up a few at a time. Jiang Cheng stood up first. A figure with glowing features appears before him and extends its hands, palms up to him. Cheng places his hands on it and feels a cold wind brush around his body. The figure glows then he hears it in his head: "Jiang Wanyin: Jiang Clan leader known as Sandu Shengshou. You have accomplished many feats. Your blood boils with anger and the need for power while your heart beats for familial relations and love. We are glad that your regrets are fueled with compassion rather than pity. Be patient and heed the still, small voice of the lesser men. The wise seldomly rise in ranks."

When the younger disciples rose, the glowing figure appeared and then disappeared without wisdom or warning. While the rest received their judgment.

Zewu Jun: "Lan Xichen: known as Zewu Jun and one of the twin jades of Gusu Lan Clan. So young for such a heavy burden. Accept what is and have faith that the past serves only as a lesson to better your understanding of what's to come. The guilt you carry can either consume you or free you. May your choice be as wise and as peaceful as your intentions have always been."

Yuxio: "Yu Yuxio: The last Phoenix Warrior descendant and senior disciple of Jiang Clan. You have suffered a great loss at a young age but you persevered. You think your legacy is safe but the road has just begun. Don't let simple matters distract you from finding a more honorable purpose in life. May the fire of your bird burn hot and eternal."

Wangji was looking at Wuxian, waiting for him to stand up. Wuxian was beyond scared. He knew deep in his bones that his life will forever change the moment he chooses to rise. He feels Wangji squeeze his hand and looks at him. Wangji smiles and whispers: "Together."

Wuxian takes one last calming breath and stands up with his soul-bond. Two figures show up in front of them, holding their palms up and waiting. With one last shared nod they let go of each other and place their hands as instructed.

Wangji: "Your Excellency Lan Zhan: known as Hanguang Jun and one of the twin jades of Gusu Lan. You are burdened with responsibilities but gracefully know how to prioritize them. You deserve the title of Hanguang Jun. May your word be as strong as your bonds. Beware, your loved one will face hardship like no other. And just like the past, your actions will be what saves him or condemns him."

Wuxian looks around after he feels the cold wind brush him. The figure says nothing for a few minutes until he notices that all the other cultivators have risen and heard their judgements.

He turns to stare at the glowing figure before him in confusion until he hears a familiar voice: "Divine Oracle, we reunite at last." People around him turn to stare. Everyone can hear it too. The figure moves its hands to grab his wrists: "Wei Ying: Known as Wei Wuxian, Treasure of Gusu Lan, Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation, Grandmaster of the Phoenix Warriors and formerly known as Yiling Patriarch. You have died twice as a sacrifice and risen to claim justice for the helpless and the weak. You demand no title and own no riches. Blessed by the Mother Tree and the Spirits of the Dead. We have finally found you."