Kabanata 23: WINGS FALL DOWN

I WAS half way there... No... I was almost there. It was in front of me and waiting me to hold it tightly. But the thought of ending this suddenly sunk down as my heart grew cold, letting my wings fall down.

I'm finding the right word to explain what happened but I can't visualize anything. All I can see was his fading image before I totally shut down my eyes and eaten by darkness.

One step closer and I knew it'll be over. Just one step and everything will be paid off. Just once and everything will be back into normal.

Pero bakit?

Kung kailangang ramdam ko na, nakikita ko, alam ko na matatapos na ang lahat, 'saka naging mas komplikado. Ang inakala kong taong tutulong sa akin hanggang dulo ay siya pang naging harang para marating ko 'to.

Ra... ven...

I'm somewhere between giving up and seeing how much more I can take. And... I don't know what to do now. I can't find a reason to give up but also... I can't find a reason to continue.

August nine...

I slowly opened my eyes, choosing to face the world again. The ceiling greeted me together with its hospital like aroma.

I tried to move my eyes to look where I am but all I can see is a white curtain, surrounding the four corners.

"Alia..." I heard my name, coming from the voice of a woman that seemed familiar.

I didn't respond and just looked at her. May hawak siyang syringe na mukhang nilalagay sa dextrose na naka-attach sa akin. Nang maramdaman niya ang mga mata ko at natapos siya sa kaniyang ginagawa ay maingat siyang umupo sa kama ko.

"How are you?"

Kumusta nga ba ako? Hindi ko alam... hindi ko alam.

Suddenly, I felt a warm touched my hand. "Kumain ka muna—"

"Where are they?" buong lakas kong tanong, tinutukoy ang mga kaibigan ko.

Nadamay sila. Nasaktan sila nang dahil sa 'kin. I put them in jeopardy that almost killed them. Mabuti sana kung ako lang, kung ako na lang sana ang sumalo ng lahat. But no... I gave them the pain and that pain would be with me until the end.

I waited for her words but she didn't say anything. Biglang nagwala ang aking dibdib.

"N-Nessine... tell me they're o-okay."

She held my hand and I saw sadness in her eyes.

No...

"Nasa katabing kama sila."

Bigla akong nakakuryente sa sinabi niya. I felt relieved hearing those words.

"Gusto ko silang makita," I asked her as I tightened our grip. "Please..."

I heard her sighed. Wala rin siyang nagawa kundi sundin ang request ko. Inalalayan niya akong tumayo at bahagya akong nakaramdam ng pananakit sa aking tiyan.

"You should res—"

"No," awat ko sa kaniyang sasabihin. "I wanna see them."

I think the pain I am feeling right now was caused by the dagger that impaled me. Pero hindi 'yon ang mas kinasasakit ko, kundi ang katotohanang nagawa niya ang bagay na 'yon.

Napatuloy kami sa paglalakad sa katabing kama. Nang makalabas ako sa telang pumapalibot sa 'kin, 'agad nang pumasok sa isip ko kung na saan kami.

We came back again here at Rukbat, the place where I have been trained me to be strong and the place that developed the beast inside me. Ito ang lugar kung saan nabuo ang pagkakaibigan naming anim. Ang lugar kung saan mas nakilala namin ang isa't isa kasama ang mga kwentong takot naming ibahagi sa iba.

The laughter, smile, jokes and even the fight that became part of our journey here, I cannot hear and see them now. Only a blank space area with people locked into a bed.

Hinawi ni Nessine ang puting kurtina na tumataklob sa dalawang kama. Kasabay nito ay ang paghawi ng hangin sa ilang hibla ng aking buhok.

"They're still unconscious," she uttered as I began to walk in between the space of their bed.

I focused my eyes to them. My hands were frailty and caution, shaking gently with these pains that come to explode within.

"Kumusta ang kondisyon nila?" I asked her and stopped walking the moment a met the right distance.

"They're recovering. Maybe tomorrow they'll wake up."

Mapait akong napangiti dahil sa kaniyang sinabi. Madahan akong lumingon sa babaeng malayang nagpapahinga. Ang pamumutla ng kaniyang labi ay hindi nakatakas sa 'kin.

Kailra... I'm sorry. I'm sorry because we met. I'm sorry for asking your help. I'm sorry for putting too much pressure on you, thinking that you can do everything. Pero... alam kong ginagawa mo ang lahat para matulungan ako and I'm sorry... I promise. I promise that once you woke up... you can go... You can leave...

Then I turned to the person who kept showing me his smile even on his darkest time.

I'm proud of you, Drew... You keep following me even in danger. You keep following everyone's happiness. You keep following everyone's decision and keep on following their expectation. You followed according to their will and I hope one day, you'll have the courage to turn those and follow your own heart.

I held their hands. "Si H-Harriela? K-Kieffer?"

"Alia... Harriela didn't make it."

Kusang lumuwag ang kapit ko sa dalawang kamay na aking hawak. I stiffed and don't know what to do. Pakiramdam ko'y panandaliang tumigil ang pagtibok ng puso ko kaya mabilis akong napahawak sa aking collarbone, malapit sa aking dibdib.

"Kieffer just contact me and he's on his way back here."

I didn't turned and just clutch my chest. This silent heartbeat grenades. My open eyes were focused, not moving.

"Dinala niya si Harriela sa hospital dahil alam niya na hindi na aabot kapag dito pa. But I also know that he know, it's too late." I felt her hand on my back. "Alia... I'm really really sorry..."

Napapikit na lamang ako sa kaniyang sinabi. But I know I have nothing to blame. Nangyari na at kapag nagpadala pa ako sa emosyon ko, hindi rin naman nito maibabalik ang buhay na nawala na.

Right now, all I wish is that, I hope she's in the better place. And that is her happy ending. I hope for her happiness and rest. She deserves a life and I hope one day, our lines will cross again. In that another life, sana makita ko na ang ngiti niya at ang emosyon na pilit niyang tinatago sa mga mata niya. If that day will come, I'll surely write her story and give her the ending that she deserves.

"Si— Si—" Malalim akong bumuntong hininga bago ko pinagpatuloy ang gusto kong sabihin, "Si... Raven?"

"I know this sounds insane, but Alia... you have to believe me."

"Just tell me what is happening." I emphasized every word I uttered.

Nawala ang kapit niya sa aking likuran at naramdaman ko ang paghakbang niya palayo.

"I'm sorry if I didn't tell before," sambit niya na nagpakunot ng nuo ko. "This necklace."

Kusa na lamang akong napalingon sa kaniya. Nakita ko kung paano niyang tagtagin ang kwintas na lapis sa kaniyang leeg.

"It tells us that one of us— Develus is near." She extended her arms and held the pendant. "And it puzzled me when every time Raven was near, it was sending me the signal."

"W-What are you saying?"

"Since that day, hindi lang sa 'yo nakatuon ang mga mata ko, pati sa kaniya. And when we got to your hometown, nang makita ko ang senaryo sa lumang bagay, alam kong hindi ako nagkamali ng hinala."

"Tell me!"

"Alia... Ergo..."

Ergo?

"Ergo got his body."

----