Chapter 55

Spencer's POV:

Three days later JJ's father died and I'd never seen one family in so many bits. I've never been around a person long enough to experience this... sadness.

Morgans father died before I met him, both Garcia and Hotch never talk about their parents and I didn't find it that hard when my father left me. I guess deep down I always knew that if I really wanted to I could find him, but JJ doesn't get that luxury.

Sometimes I think if he didn't leave me my life would have been different. Maybe I wouldn't have had to put my mum in the loony bin, maybe I would have had the time to get myself a decent job.

It's been a whole week since Jensen passed away and within this time JJ has barely spoken. I don't know what to do.

JJ's POV:

"I think that's clean enough now." Spencer awkwardly jokes as my mother cleans her mug for the fourth time. She looks down at the pot in her hand and gives Spencer a small smile before placing it on the counter.

I can feel myself frowning, my fathers death has hit my mother harder than everyone. She hasn't been doing anything properly all week. She put the whites in a wash with the colours, she put washing powder in the dishwasher and she almost fed Henry cat food... I'm extremely worried about her.

Spencer places his arm around my shoulder and squeezes me tightly. I've barely spoken a word to him since the bad news and I feel bad. He's been so good to me the whole time we've been back at my parents'- my mothers house.

I lean into his body in an attempt to show him my appreciation and I feel his tense body relax.

I place my hand on his thin thigh and rub his leg gently in a completely non sexual way; just a friendly gesture.

I can feel his eyes boring into me, but I won't make eye contact. His arm moves from around me and he stands, letting my hand drop off of his leg. I hope me being off hasn't upset him.

I look up to see where he's going and find him grabbing my mums arm. When I focus on her body, I notice she's shaking slightly and Spencer takes the teaspoon from her hand to finish making her coffee.

Spencer hasn't just been my rock this week, he's been my whole family's. Although he shows empathy toward all of us, he's hardly been effected by my fathers death.

My mum takes a seat across from me, beside Tracy and Spencer places her coffee on the kitchen table.

"I can't believe it's been a week already." She finally speaks and Tracy looks up. "It's his funeral- tomorrow." tears stream down her face and I don't notice I'm also crying until Spencer wipes the pad of his thumb beneath my eye.

The front door opens and a few seconds later Tracy's new boyfriend joins us in the kitchen. He places his work bag by the back door and hangs his dirty coat over ours.

Henry stands from the tiled floor where his toys are to meet Spencer's eyes. "Can we go to the shop?" he asks frowning and Tracy allows a small smile to show on her face.

"Uh- I, I guess so." he stutters and looks at me.

"I'll be fine Spence." I rub his thigh again and he smiles, then stands to retrieve his coat.

Spencer's POV:

"What at do you want?" I ask the small boy when we reach the garden gate.

"Just wanted to walk." he smiles and steps out of the garden. He may just be 6 but he's smart, he was fine until that guy got back, Tim was it? I don't know.

"Henry wait up!" when I look up he's almost half way down the street and I've not even finished closing the gate.

I pull it closed quickly and awkwardly run after him. "Want a milkshake?" I offer, knowing it will give me a proper chance to talk to him. He nods his head yes and takes my hand as we walk to the cafe JJ took me to my first time here.

I order two chocolate milkshakes and lift Henry on to one of the tall chairs. "I don't think you wanted to just go for a walk." I say taking a seat beside him and he frowns.

"Everyone is crying... I don't like it." he admits and rests his small head in his even smaller hands. "Mummy told me granddad is in heaven now and heaven is nicer than here... so why are they all so sad?" he sits up to retrieve the milkshake that's just been put on the bar we're sat at.

"Because even though heaven is a great place, your mummy, nana and auntie JJ are all still going to miss him... You're going to miss him." I don't know how to talk about this with a kid. I don't believe in heaven, I don't think I ever have. I know that energy cannot be made or destroyed, but maybe that supports the reincarnation theory more?

"I do miss him, but everything is better now, right?" he finally looks up at me, his frown less prominent but still there.

"I guess." I sigh and take a mouthful of my milkshake through my straw.

After a few minutes Henry is already finished and he scrunches his nose tightly while clutching his pants. "I need the toilet." he whispers and I laugh at him, we're pretty close to the toilets so I let him go alone while I buy us both a sandwich.

"Excuse me?" I turn to find a woman about my age holding a little girls hand. "Your son is in the girls restroom." she frowns and her little girl joins in.

"And?"

"Well I think you should go and get him, we can't have little boys running around while the girls are having a tinkle."

"Tinkle?" I scoff and she frowns further.

"I'm sick of all these bad parents, America is a disgrace." she almost shouts and I laugh in her face. The woman is stood before me in a long skirt that reaches her ankles. Her shirt is buttoned up right to the top and her daughter is dressed similar.

She turns on her heel and storms out with her chin high. "Snobby bitch."

Before I can finish my verbal assault I hear a loud scream coming from the toilets. "Shit."

Short chapter, sorry for that!! I just wanted to post ASAP cause I've left you all waiting a few days. I'm off college I'll today so I guess that only means one thing. CRIMINAL MINDS MARATHON and more chapters cause I've got a whole day free.