Chapter 98

Spencer's POV:

"Do you know why JJ just went to see Anderson?" I stop a colleague I've not once spoken to in the middle of the corridor.

"No, I don't think he asked to see her?" My eyes move from the giant oak door to the woman's face.

"So she just chose to go in there?" I ask again. I have no clue why I'm talking to this woman, or why I thought she'd know what's going on.

"I think so, Jake-"

"One second." I cut her off and pull my vibrating mobile from my pocket.

"Hello?"

"Reid, it's Damien. I need to see you."

"Look, I've told you I can't do this shit anymore-"

"I'll be there the minute your break starts, you've still got a lot of debt."

"Damien-" I'm cut off by the call ending and my balled fist connects with my thigh. "for fuck sake." I growl and the woman in front of my flinches.

"Sorry, what was you saying?"

"Jake told me that..." she continues to talk as my eyes move back to the oak door which I see JJ appearing from behind.

She closes the door behind her and within one swift movement Jake is stood facing her. She says something to him and takes another step in my direction, but is soon stopped by Jakes hand grabbing her arm. I swear if he holds on to her any longer than- before I can finish my thought he lets go, and it's a good fucking job too.

"But she was funny with-" strangely enough, the woman in front of me doesn't seem to notice I'm not listening and continues to talk.

JJ's emotionless face lifts into a smile and I hear Jake laugh. What's going on?

He meets my eyes and makes her way in my direction, the smile still covering her face. I don't wait for her to meet me, instead I head straight back to my desk and take a seat.

Just as I finish one load of work my phone buzzes and I look down to find a text of Damien.

• You're becoming a stranger again Reid, that's not good. I'm in town, so I'll drop by Anderson's office building, sort something out. •

Anger surges through me. I've told Damien multiple times now that I can't work for him anymore, especially not now JJ is pregnant. I need to protect my family.

***

"Hey Reid, want to grab a coffee?" Blake approaches me with a smile and I stand to join her. The two of us walk toward the break room and just as we reach the hall, Blake stops.

I pull out my vibrating phone and notice I have another text from Damien, indicating he's here. I continue walking and make my way in the direction of the elevator instead.

I reach the ground floor and head outside to Damien's dark car.

"Reid." he greets me with a nod and climbs from the vehicle.

"What are you doing here? I told you I can't work for you anymore Damien."

"And I told you I need to be payed back in some way or another."

" I can't do this, I promised I-"

"If you don't pay me, she will." his eyes hold a malevolent glint that tells me he isn't joking.

"Is that a threat?" I say through gritted teeth and he smirks.

"I don't know, is it?" he laughs lightly and climbs back inside his car.

"You're a bastard." I state while slamming my fist on the roof of the car, peering into the rolled down window.

"A bastard that needs paying Reid. I'll pick you up when you clock off." he drives away playing his music loudly.

"Spencer." I turn to find JJ stood by the large glass doors, a deep frown covering her face. "he's the dealer isn't he?" Fuck. "If you're mad at me why can't you just say so instead of acting out like a child?"

"What?" Is she fucking kidding me? acting like a child? I've done nothing wrong.

"You don't even have a reason to be mad at me, I've done nothing wrong? You think just because you've seen me talking to Jake, something is going on again?"

"For fuck sake JJ. Yeah, I saw you talking to Jake and yeah I got a little bit jealous, but I'm not fucking mad at you and I'm not acting out."

"Then why are you out here talking to that idiot?" She raises her voice and I know I can't tell her why, if I do, she might think I'm working for him again.

"I can not be arsed with this, jennifer." I say sternly while pushing myself through the doors.

***

Some time later, Damien does exactly as he said and pulls up outside of the workplace as I clock off.

I climb into his car, trying hard to get him to drive off before JJ catches us again.

"Nice to know you're thinking with your head." Damien smirks as he pulls out on to the road.

We drive for fifteen minutes and twenty seconds before he pulls up outside an apartment building.

We climb out of the car and make our way up three flights of stairs. When we reach the top, Damien knocks a specific beat on the wooden door which is then opened straight away.

Inside is four men, two of which I already know. Gideon and fucking Will.

"What are we doing here Damien?" I ask through my teeth, trying hard not to look at Will.

"Well, seeing as though you're not teaching people lessons anymore... we thought we'd teach you a lesson."

Two men grab the arms on either side of my body and Will kicks me to the ground.

"How is Jennifer?" he smirks and I try to release myself from the grip of the men beside me. If I get away from them, ill fucking kill him.

Before I can muster another thought, Wills fist connects with my stomach, causing me to crease in pain.