Chapter 34

"Auntie JJ's boyfriend is funny."
"Oh, he's not my-" I stop, not allowing the words to leave my mouth. I watch as my nephew runs into my cousins arms and she looks up. JJ! how are you? we've missed you loads, especially Henry, he misses his bestfriend!" she wraps her arms around me in a tight embrace and Henry copies, hugging me again.

Spencer stays by the doorway as my family one by one welcomes me back to the small town. A few people ask about Spencer I tell them he's my friend like he did the day before. Each time the words leave my mouth it gets easier to say, at least that's until I look over at him.

My gran stands and kisses my cheek three times before hugging me, I look at Spencer and he laughs. Once the family has finished saying hello, Spencer joins us around the tree as we open each other's presents. Henry opens his first with being the youngest, I bought him a mini painting set and told him to paint me some pictures to take home.

My uncle hands me a present and looks to Spencer. "Sorry mate, I didn't know you was coming. If the weathers alright later, we can go for a few drinks at the pub down the road." he smiles at him and Spencer's natural frown eases. "cheers." he nods and I smile at him, thanking The Lord he didn't reply with a bit of witty sarcasm.

My mum joins us in the front room and tells us all to make our way into the dining room for some Christmas dinner. Spencer sits beside me and Henry politely asks him if he can sit between us. I laugh and my cousin does too. "I told you, he misses his bestfriend." Spencer helps Henry climb into the chair he was previously sat on and while we wait for the food to be brought out He shows him a few magic tricks. I watch them with awe. Spencer isn't good with people, Derek claims he never has been, but watching him with Henry... you'd never know.

Henry laughs loudly each time Spencer amazes him and I find myself being filled with a feeling of broodiness. He's extremely good with a child he's just met, imagine him with his own.

The food comes and everyone thanks my mum for the hard work. It's strange having all the family here for Christmas, we used to make our way around to everyone's houses the day after Boxing Day. This is a first for everyone.

When dinner finishes everyone slouches around with bloated stomachs, a few bottles of wine are handed around and Henry begins some of his painting. Spencer makes his way to the toilet and once he's been gone a while I retrace his footsteps to the top of the stairs.

The toilet is empty and I'm completely confused until I notice the light in the spare room is on. I open the door slowly and find him crouched over something on the ground. "Spence?" he jumps to his feet, hiding the object behind his back and his long hair flops over his forehead. "what are you doing?" I can feel myself smirking because I've obviously caught him doing something he shouldn't be. "I- I- fuck, I uh... I was tying a bow around this." he pulls his arms to the front and a red wrapped box is revealed. "It's uh- it's for you." I smile so much I almost can't see, a laugh escapes his mouth and he places it in my hands. "I wanted to give it to you later, but you ruined it." His brows furrow and I hug him softly. "You shouldn't have." The words sound strange coming from my mouth, I'm so used to seeing things like this on TV and in movies, I never imagined Spencer to do something so sweet. I pull away from him and open the present, inside is a thin necklace with a butterfly charm on the end. I look up into his dark eyes. "Emily told me you used to collect them- uh, butterflies I mean and I-"
"Spence it's beautiful." he smiles proudly and I peck him lightly on the corner of his mouth. I do it again, not fully satisfied with just the one and he turns his head so that my mouth covers his.

His mouth opens, allowing my desperate tongue access to his. they become entwined as his lips close over mine again. He pulls away and I frown from the loss of contact, his lips meet mine one last time for a quick chaste kiss and he helps me to put on the necklace.