Chapter 25

Spencer's POV

"I'm sorry for the mess." JJ announces while unlocking her door. "Just take a seat and I'll grab the menus" the door opens and Emily, Morgan and I follow JJ inside. I take a seat in the corner of her sofa, Morgan and Emily sit on the opposite one, leaving plenty of space for JJ to sit beside me.

JJ disappears into the kitchen and We all begin to take off our shoes and coats. "what do you guys want to watch?" I ask the couple as if it's my own house. I climb off the sofa and crouch in front of the TV to reach the small cupboard beneath it. I pull out five movies and place them on the table, I look up to find Morgan smirking.

"Familiar with the place are we?" he asks and Emily leans into his shoulder. "fuck off." JJ enters the room with a handful of menus and smiles when she she's me sat on the carpet in front of the tv. Morgan wraps his arm around his girlfriend, allowing her to be more comfortable and JJ takes a seat on the couch I was previously sat on.

She places the menus on the table by the movies and looks up. "I don't know where you guys want to order from?"
"Let's get some pizza?" Emily suggests, moving herself from Morgan's body to pick up a menu.

In the end we all decide on pizza and a scary film. JJ turns the heating on, but we're all still a little cold so I grab some blankets from the cupboard in JJ's bedroom and take a seat beside her. I place one over JJ and I and then throw one at Morgan and Emily, they also place it over themselves.

***

Twenty minutes into the film, the door bell rings and I stand to answer. It's a young boy holding three pizzas in his arms. I give him the money and catch him looking into the apartment. "have you got a problem?" he looks at me and sighs. "No, i, uh- no" he hands me the pizzas and heads back down the corridor.

When I bring the pizzas inside, Morgan and Emily are fully sat up, completely ready for some food. I place them on the table and sit back down next to JJ.

"This is so good!" Morgan says while chewing a large mouthful of his pizza. Emily and JJ respond with a few moans, both agreeing that the pizza is great.

I lean back and rest my feet on JJ's coffee table, her eyes meet mine and then she leans into my side the way Emily leans into Morgan. A content smile places it's self over my lips and Morgan catches me. "C'mon... how about we start this film again? it was just getting good" I say, attempting to divert the attention from my happiness. Morgan laughs and presses play on the remote, everyone begins to watch. Everyone but me that is, instead I watch JJ.

I watch how her blue eyes reflect the only light in the room coming from the tv. The way they move fast from side to side as she watches the running woman on the screen and how she flinches when the woman trips. I watch how her chests rising and falling becomes faster when the murderer catches up with the poor lady. I love how she gets so stuck in. I watch as a lock of her long blonde hair slowly falls onto her forehead. When it lands she pushes it back, but it falls again. She pushes it back three more times, but it continues to fall and she growls. I laugh a little and she looks at me as I tuck it behind her ear.

"Thanks Spence." she lifts my arm from between us and wraps it around herself. I smile again, this time the darkened TV screen covers it for me and I slouch further allowing JJ and I to get more comfortable.

***

"Phenolphthalein, as it will change colour completely within the pH range 7 - 10, over which the end-point occurs."
"Thats right Spencer." the bell rings and everyone begins to pack away their things. "Ok class, remember to get your homework done by Tuesday. If I don't get it, you're all coming during break to get it done." Mrs Marbury also stands and begins to pack her thinks and the students in my class flood through the open door.

"Spencer!" I turn to find my two year crush approaching me. "uh, h-hi." I wave awkwardly as she comes to a halt before me. Her face becomes inches from mine as she whispers in my ear. "Will you help me with Marbury's homework?" I nod slowly, not at all passing up on an opportunity to be noticed by the angel breathing down my neck. "Thanks. Meet me behind the field house in ten." She moves her head from my ear and looks me dead in my glass covered eyes. "oh, and Spencer... please don't tell anyone?" she smiles slightly and disappears in the crowd of people.

I grab my files from my locker and place them in my bag before heading out to the football field. Jessica, my crush, is leaning against the brick wall of the field house and waves when she notices me crossing the football pitch.

Butterflies build in my stomach and I can feel a sweat coming on. I can't embarrass myself in front of her, most of my attention is focused on my feet, if I trip I've fucked everything up.

"Thanks for coming, it means a lot. Marbury will kill me if I don't get this done but I really can't do it." She smiles and leads the way behind the field house.

We turn the corner and the whole school football team becomes visible from behind the brick. My heart rate speeds again and i look at Jessica confused. "What, did you think you were getting a good taste of my girl tonight Reid?" The captain steps forward and pulls Jessica in for a kiss.

Two muscular boys step forward and pin me to the ground. "Wait, stop!" Another two members of the team come forward and begin to take off my socks and shoes. I kick and shout as much as I can, lashing my limbs out everywhere in an attempt to get them off me. It doesn't work. They reach for my pants and unbuckle my belt. "Jessica!" I shout and receive a hard hit in the stomach.

Everyone laughs as I try to catch my breath, I'm completely winded and tears slowly begin to form in my eyes. "She doesn't fucking care about you, you nerd. Get it into your bastard skull." the captain punches me again, busting my nose and my lip in one blow.

Once I'm fully stripped the team grab me by the arms and legs and begin to drag me across the field. Laughs fall from everyone's mouths and sobs fall from mine. They tie me to the goal post with my own tie and leave me on my own. Hours pass and nobody hears me calling for help.

When I eventually set myself free and get dressed again, the time on my watch states 12.00pm. I run home as fast as I can with multiple questions spinning through my mind. How didn't my mum notice I haven't arrived home yet? How could she forget about me? Why did the school football team pick me and how did they know Jessica was the girl I have a crush on?

***
"Spence, are you alright?" I open my eyes to find JJ leaning over me. I jolt up and notice I'm in her bed. "how- why am I here?"
"Morgan carried you... you fell asleep about an hour ago. They were going and I couldn't leave you on the sofa all crooked and uncomfortable." She smiles. "Thanks Jennifer." He smile fades slightly and she joins me on her bed.

"Are you ok? You were getting really sweaty and twitchy. I'm sorry, I had to wake you." she begins to tie her hair up and I notice she's only wearing a pyjama top. "I'm completely ok." I pull her close and kiss her softly.