Chapter 81

Spencer's POV:

"I can't believe you beat someone up again." Sean groans a the two of us climb into his car.

"He fucking deserved it." I state and Sean sniggers.

"You've got work today?" he asks and I nod my head slowly. "I put some trousers and a shirt in the boot, your cardigan is still on the back seat from the other day..." he looks down my shoes. "Your converse will be alright, right?" He asks while observing my footware.

"Uh- yeah, thanks." I sigh loudly and Sean pulls out of the stations parking lot.

"So, did you beat him up good? I should hope so after all that boxing you and I have been doing lately." He smirks and I laugh.

***

Once I arrive at work, I grab my clothes from the boot and run into the mens restroom. I should really think about getting a transfer back to the other offices, New York is a ball ache.

"Me Reid." Isaac, the intern, nods as I enter our floor and joins me for a coffee before we start on our work.

A few hours later, lunch begins and I book plane tickets to go and visit my mum.

My thoughts travel to the fake brunette I slept with not so long ago and the fact she's my mums doctor. I guess I should cancel JJ's ticket and have her meet my mum another time... it gives me more time to explain why she's in a loony bin.

• Spence, text me when you're out. I need to talk to you. •

I look down to the text from JJ, trying a little too hard not to make it obvious I immediately know she's ready to end it. I told her I wouldn't beat anyone up again and I did, I almost killed a man and this time it was in front of a child. If she forgives me after this, I am one lucky guy.

• I've got time now. •

I text back, hoping she'll call me any minute and save me from the boring topic of conversation Isaac and another guy have started up.

Thirty eight seconds later she calls and I answer the phone embarrassingly fast.

"Spence?" her voice is calm and soft, instantly relieving some of the worry floating around my head.

"Yeah?"

"You're out? Morgan said they'd only keep you the night."

"Yeah, I'm uh, I'm at work."

"Oh..." she goes quiet for a few moments and I hear Henry call her name in the background.

"You're not at work?" I ask, knowing she should be.

"No, Tracy left with Tom."

"You're kidding me?" how could she do that? "He's her son." I state angrily and she exhales deeply down the phone.

"I don't know what's gotten into her, she was-"

"Don't worry Jayje, we can keep him at our place until she's sorted herself out." I grunt, meaning what I said. I'm just worried about the kid, his own mother is abandoning him for that bastard.

"About that..." She pauses and my heart jolts, I know exactly what's coming. "If he's staying I'm going to need to buy some more food in, but I can't take Henry down to the store because he's not got any fresh clothes." she sighs and a large smile places itself across my lips.

Isaac smirks and the guy beside him frowns. I quickly stand, hold up my middle finger in the direction of the two men and leave the break room.

"I'll come back now."

"But what about-"

"I'm going to ask for a transfer back, I'll let Andy know what's going on when I call him later."

"Thanks." I hear her weak smile from the other end of the line and I lean against the wall outside my office.

"I'll be two hours tops."

"Ok, thanks Spence."

"It's fine, how is he? Henry- I mean."

"He's ok, I don't think he understands what's going on?" she sighs and I nod.

"I get it." I say quickly when I realise she can't see me. "I'll see you soon." I finish and begin to pull the phone from my ear.

"Love you."

"I uh-"

The call ends before I can say it too and I slip my phone into my pocket before heading back to the break room.

"Isaac, I have to go. Will you let Cruz know?"

"Sure, but won't he-"

"Thanks!" I cut him off and begin to leave the room.

"Spencer-"

"Just tell him I threw up or something, I don't know, improvise."

"Spencer!" he calls after me again, but I've already left the room. I need to get back as soon as I can.

***

When I arrive back in Quantico I head to the cafe and buy the three of us some food and hot chocolate; JJ's and Henry's covered in marshmallows of course.

I spot a giant bag of Cheetos in the shop at the end of our street an I can't resist buying them for JJ. Of course I can't but her something extra and not Henry so I grab some popcorn for him too. I downloaded four episodes of doctor who the other night when JJ fell asleep, he can eat it while watching them with me. He loved it last time.

I slowly push open the apartment door and find Henry sleeping in JJ's arms. "I bought you that hot-" JJ stirs slightly and I look up at her face while placing my purchases on the coffee table.

"Jayje." I shake her shoulder gently and she opens her eyes to look at my face. "Hungry?"

"Yeah." she says while inhaling deeply and smiling. I look at the TV to find they fell asleep watching one of my episodes of Doctor Who. I can't help the small laugh that escapes my mouth as she sits up properly.

Henry's head falls on to her lap and I pull him up into my arms as she leans forward to pick up her hot chocolate.

His eyes slowly open and he stares into my face, scanning it before wrapping his arms around my neck. "Uncle Spence!" he chimes and hugs me tightly.

"Hey." I say while laughing and JJ smiles up to the two of us.