Chapter twenty nine

Blade's POV

"Why are the Vanetts targeting me?" She asked again when I didn't answer the first time.

To be honest, I don't know. I don't know why they're targeting her and only her. I shrugged my shoulders for her answer.

"I don't know why."

She sighs dripping her head so she's looking at her legs.

"I feel targeted. Like . . . Almost everything bad has to happen to me."

I don't know how to respond. These are questions I want answers to too. "I'm with you, I want answers too. Just as much as you want them."

Sarah brought her knees into a hug. Silence roams the living room. The fire cackled.

Raul came into the room looking depressed.

"What's with the depressed face?"

"Nothing. I just can't get why the Vanetts are after us again."

"What do you mean 'again'?"

He shook his head. "Never mind."

"No, Raul. Tell me, us. Harper's wondering why she's being targeted."

He simply glances at Sarah before slowly moving his gaze over to me. I can sense Sarah's fear of him. "Fine. I think it's time you know why the Vanetts are always after us."

He digs before answering. I told him to wait a sec.

"Want anything, Harper?"

"No thanks."

I left to the kitchen for blood then hurrying back.

Once I sat down, he began his story.

"Two hundred years ago, before I was a vampire, there's these guys. I was still human at the time so you've got to think, I had no idea what to do. Now, these guys . . . They're your typical druggies and such. Little did I know they're vampires disguising as druggies.

"So they'll sell weed, marijuana, heroin, fentanyl and such. At that time, I was a drug addict. I went through a difficult divorce and a loss of my parents. So doing drugs got me away from reality.

"So one night, I was out of drugs. So I went to a dark alley to get my usual weed. I had money to get a couple bags. I met some drug sellers in a  dark alley. Imagine a very dark alley in an almost abandoned place, and no one can hear you. It's very deep inside so it's hard for anyone to find them. "

I took a sip of blood as Sarah listen intently to the story.

"So I got my usual weed ready to pay when a woman came. Now at the time, I didn't know who it was, so I thought it's just another druggie, so I didn't think of it at the time."

" 'Hey mister, if you want more weed, we've got some more in the back. You can have it for free.' One of them said. Not thinking at the time, I agreed to go with them. They lead to into an abandon part of the building.

" 'It's over here.' He said. I followed him to a wall behind some crates. 'It's not here," I said."

He chuckled while shaking his head.

"I've been so naive. I can remember it like it was yesterday. He led me into the corner to attack me. He pounced at me and hit me right int he neck, so cliche to bite someone.

"At the time, no one believed in vampires so if you say you saw one, or got bitten by one, they'd think your crazy. Especially where I came from. There was a lot of druggies and drug dealers. If anyone said something like that, they'd automatically think you'd be having a lot of drugs.

"After I got bitten, I hid in my home for a few years and never came out. How I survived was at the off time of night, I'd go feast on the strays of druggies. One night I went out for my nightly dinner when I met Victoria. She was walking with a guy that I knew he's a vampire. How I could sense that . . . I don't know. I followed them still keeping my distance.

"When they turned into an alley way, I followed them around until I heard a piercing screaming. He'd bitten her. Now this alley way, it's not deep or anything. People can hear her scream so I ran to her, but the vamp left. He's gone. No sign of him.

"While Victoria is changing into her vamp form, I picked her up and took her to my home. Once she changed and woke up, I explained the situation she's in. I took care of her until the people figured out that vampires are a thing. They figured out quickly and the police started to hunt us down.

"Victoria and I fled and searched all over the world for a place to stay. But everywhere we go, they tried to kill us. Finally, we settled here, before the town came to be. Before it was discovered. Mind you, we spent around thirty years trying to find a place to settle down.

"We came across the Vanetts, and at the time, this whole forest was theirs until we came. At first, they welcomed us. It was nice. We stayed in their home until we found a place, or so they said. We thought we got to stay, but soon enough, one of them hated us.

"I don't know the reason why, but one of them did. It's not like we did anything wrong, or so we thought. That Vanett tried coming after us, getting rid of us for good."

At this point, I'm almost out of blood. I take a glance over to Sarah who looks to be half asleep, yet invested in this story.

"Victoria and I went for a midnight walk and little did we know, that Vanett was following us and attacked us. We fled, but came back with an army. I contacted my drug dealers, who hit me, they came. Everyone that we both could get our hands on came to fight.

"The big show down where a lot of vamps died that night. We became enemies since. The only reason I can think of is that we told them we wanted to move here to live, and that we wanted to have a cult of vampires just like them so we wouldn't be bored.

"They thought we might be starting war to get this land. So they made the first move. In the end, we got our half of the forest and they stayed on theirs. Not long after, I'd say a year, one of our ancestors, Reneal F. Jester. He made the accessories and hidden the machine to deactivate it. I don't know where he's hidden it.

"When the town has finally been built, people finally came and so did the vampire hunters. In the years I've lived here, so many vampire hunters have died from doing their job, or other reasons. Then, I'm assuming, the Vanetts went hay wire and feasted on the people. Of course they only knew about us so they blamed us. We tried to tell them that it wasn't us, but they didn't listen.

"The hunters got involved and that's when people got scared. We use our accessories whenever we're in town. The hunters kept an eye on us and killed us if we misbehave. Now Sarah, I don't know why the Vanetts are targeting you. I don't have the answers you're looking for. I'm just going to say is be careful of your surroundings. Be careful who you open the door to when your alone.

"I hear your a new hunter who's in training. Be careful. The last thing we need is for you to get hurt, or anyone else. Especially with this 'war' thing happening."

In the corner of my eye, I saw her nod.

"That's quite interesting," I reply after his long story.

"Sure is. There's still somethings that doesn't make sense. What did we do to make the Vanetts despise us? Why are they after Mrs. Harper?"

Those are really good questions.

"Very interesting, but I'm going to head back up."

We said our good nights and she left.

It's just us. The fire cackled until something the unexpected happen.

Raul and I both haunch over when pain raced through us. It wasn't the good pain.

"What the hell just happened?" I ask when the pain stopped.

"I don't know."