Chapter twenty eight

J. Vanetts POV

He walked in the Winter blizzard. Of course it didn't bother him since he's vampire. The only thing that did is the snow smashing into his face.

Vanett walked along the path that is being buried in the snow. Luckily, he knew their side of the forest off by heart since he always chases strays into then Tandler Territory.

He doesn't understand how no one calls them their group name, only their given names.

It bothers him how they're so special and they don't have to hide from anyone. The Vanetts have to.

All because of their mistake.

Long before Cooperstown even became a town, even a building was built, the forest was the Vanett land. The whole forest. Even before the Tandlers came.

It was their land and they could hunt and go out whenever they want. No one says they couldn't.

They lived happily ever after.

Until the Tandlers came. It was just Raul and one other one, Victoria.

Of course they greeted them and welcomed them, but things took a dark turn real fast. A couple months after their arrival, one of the Vanetts went after them.

When Raul and Victoria were out scouting for a place to live, one of his members went after them and tried to kill them. It started as war.

Some of the Vanetts hated them so they nearly tore them dead. Luckily, they got other vamps for somewhere and caught them.

A lot of vamps died that night but Raul and Victoria survived and built their home where they live today.

On the sidewalk, they split the forest so they each have a side. Not only did they become enemies then, when Cooperstown was being built and people started living there, the Vanetts got an advantage.

At night they'd sneak into houses and feast. When people started noticing, they blamed the Tandlers. Their ancestors made this contraption thing where it'll shock them when they crave human blood. It's a genius idea and it's still is.

J. Vanett's glad the towns folks believed that it's the Tandlers. No one knew that the Vanetts existed.

He smiled that all the blame has been on them. So they got these accessories so they could go into town. Since then, the Vanetts have stayed hidden until this particular girl came into view when she stood outside with a Tandler.

It was a perfect opportunity to feast on her when another unknown vampire, even to the Tandlers, and interrupted his meal.

Ever since, they've been watching this girl and she's involved with them. It's a perfect opportunity to break them down. It's a genius plan until those hunters had to show up.

Still, him and the Vanetts want what they deserve. That is recognition.

They want to be put into town, like he was earlier, and explore to get food. Since that war, all Vanetts are starving. Unlike the Tandlers, they don't have stock of blood.

He wants something that can affect their identity. Something that can almost scar them.

As J walks through the snowy forest, he stumbled across an old shack in the middle of the forest.

What's a shack doing in the middle of the forest?

Not thinking of it, he went inside. His rashes on his face and hands are sore so starting up a fire in the old fireplace will help him cool down before going again.

In the inside, it's old, the wood is rotting away having some holes in the walls and ceiling, which led the cold wind seek through.

Entering a small kitchen area the rusty steel of the sink, cupboard doors rotting off. One swing open and there goes the door. The windows are boarded up with wood planks. The floor creaked with each step, big or small. No dining table but ripped up and moldy couches.

J. Vanett walked into the small living room gazing at the old, broken that's missing some brick pieces fire place. His rashes are getting sore by the minute. Wandering around the rickety shack, he found a door leading to the basement. As he opens the door, on the left side of the wall is matches hanging on a nail.

Taking the matches, he went downstairs into the basement, finding stacks of news paper sitting out on a table.

Taking a few pieces, J went upstairs to start a fire.

Warming with the crackling sound in the background, his rashes almost went away immediately. Of course being a vampire, he can heal fast.

Taking an adventure in the shack with a bit of light keep, he ventured downstairs. It seems off that a basement is in a shack. It seems pretty big. Taking a stick and lighting the tip with fire,  he ventured around the whole basement. It extended to the far end and it seems to go ok for a while.

Observing the old furniture and other useless stuff, he came across another door. As he open it the door creaked like in the movies.

In the small room is a little machine type. It's shaped like a wooden crate with buttons and levers on the little flat table in front. A computer screen sat on the front of the crate like thing. All the colour faded away into silver rust.

It looks to be here for decades. Maybe even centuries. Getting a better look at it, J realizes it's not just an ordinary machine, but something else that he can't put his tongue on.

Scanning the buttons and levers, he presses the 'on' button. The black screen lights up illuminating the room.

"Password." It says.

"Great. Just fucking great," he says under his breath.

Here he goes.

-

Trying all the passwords he can think of, it must have taken him over two hours trying to unlock it. J won't stop until this thing unlocks and he gets in.

One word came to mind and he tried it. 'Tandler.'

"Access granted," the computer speaks.

"Perfect," he speaks.

Snooping through although there wasn't much. J found a page for deactivation. Smiling to himself, he pressed on it hoping something useful comes up.

"Deactivate accessories."

This is perfect. Chuckling to himself, he pressed the deactivate button. This is the machine for the accessories. "Deactivation in twenty eight days," the computer spoke.

"Watch out Tandlers. You'll never know what hits ya."