Chapter 29: In the Middle of Playing, There is Joy

Mark Lambert Dela Cruz's PoV

Isang linggo na ang nakalipas, pero pinag-iisipan ko parin kung dapat ba talaga akong sumali ng banda o 'wag nalang. Para masigurado ko sa sarili kong sigurado ako sa pagda-drums ko ay naisipan kong hamunin ang sarili ko na makinig ulit ng chello. So today, afterschool, I decided to visit the small orchestra house nitong school, where orchestral instrumentalist do their repertoire. I heard they have practice today. The orchestra practices  for their concert which will happen right before the battle of the bands event, just a few months further from now.

Pagkapunta ko roon, naabutan kong may isang babaeng pianist ang tumutugtog sa stage kasama ang buong orchestra. If I'm not mistaken, she's Eirin Lopez. She's quite famous. I can recall some instances kung kailan nababanggit s'ya saakin ni Dex.

Pumwesto ako sa harapang seat. Hindi naman ako nahirapang humanap ng mauupuan, dahil wala masyadong nanonood. Karamihan mga teachers lang at ilang mga estudyante.

Habang pinapakinggan ko sila, I feel calm. I really admire how the whole string section sounds, and it kind of give the vibes of nature since all the instrument are natural sounding. No electrified instrument. I can hear the chello section, and I admit, I missed the sound of it and it still gives me goosebumps.

I'm enjoying the sound of this orchestra.

"I heard before this orchestra, they had a small choir club" dinig kong sabi ng babae sa likod ko. I take a peak kung sino 'yun, and happened to find out that she's one of the members of Touma Grioso's band. She's talking to Jack Antonio.

Wala sana akong balak na makinig sa usapan nila, pero dahil malapit lang ang seat nila saakin at sila lang ang maririnig na nagsasalita, I happened to hear everything.

"Yeah, I heard about it. One of the conductors of the choir before happens to have a figurine at the backstage. I heard it was to honor that conductor after he died, 17 years ago"

"Alam mo rin pala 'yun... Oh by the way, totoo bang plano rin ni Eirin Lopez na sumali sa banda?"

"Oo. She's from Franz Liszt section before, ang section kung saan maraming promising pianist, and she's the top their"

"Oh. I wonder why she doesn't make it to be one of us in Mozart"

"Don't care much about that. My concern is that she might be a threat on our band. To which band will she join? Ikaw, as a pianist don't you feel threatened?"

Whoa, I didn't expect to hear that. So, Eirin will be joining a band?

Bakit ba napapalibutan ako ng mga taong ganito? Band members, at interested to be a band member.

"Give it a shot. Malay mo magustuhan mo"

I just sigh, and then decided to leave. I visited the backstage of the orchestra house and found some instruments there. Tingin ko wala namang tao. My eyes land to that cielo at the corner.

"Why are you here?"

I immediately turned my head to my left to where the voice came from. "Sir Ken?"

"Hmm" sir Ken nodded.

"Gusto ko lang po sanang subukang tumugtog ng chello," I reasoned out. Ayaw ko na kaseng pumunta sa music room. Malayo pa ang lalakarin ko papunta roon. "Kayo po?"

"Why am I here? I'm here to check that," sir Ken replied and pointed out to that small figurine on my side which was attached to a cemented small post.

Oh, so this is the figurine they are talking about?

"So you play chello? What's your major?" sir Ken asked.