C H A P T E R 1 2 9

Everything happened so fast.

Thanos snapped using the gauntlet.

His arm got burnt.

Then another portal came, Thanos went in there and disappeared in to thin air.

You held your head and stood up. You look at your surroundings and something seemed off.

At the same time, Steve stumbles into the clearing, holding his left side, “Where'd he go? Thor... where'd he go?”

Thor looked like he lost, he lost the battle that he thinks he needed to end.

Bucky walked towards Steve, “Steve?” He called and then he suddenly stumbled over, dropped his gun and collapsed into ashes.

Much to Steve's shock, he walked over and touched the ground where Bucky's ashes evaporated disbelievingly.

“Holy…” you breathed. You ran to where Steve is and knelt beside him, grabbing a handful of dust that Bucky left. “W-what the h-hell happened? Ba-Bucky…”

You stood up immediately to find the twins. You ran to where you last saw Wanda, and into your shock, all that you see is her brother, kneeling in to  the ground crying his heart out.

A tear fell down onto your face, and heart is breaking at the same time. “Oh, Lord.” You breathed. You ran towards Pietro and hugged him, “I'm sorry.” You said, trying to soothe him.

The kid didn't think twice and desperately hugged you back, “Wanda…”

You tighten your hug, trying not to breakdown, knowing that the same thing might happened to your partner. “Everything will be alright.”

The remaining team members gathered around Vision’s dead body, written to their faces that they definitely lost this one.

“What is this? What the hell is happening?” Rhodey said, clearly shocked and confused at the same time.

“Oh, God.” Steve breathed.

All of you were silent.

Maybe this isn't the right time to talk about it.

.
.
.

“I-I can't reach him.” You said, slamming your phone to the desk. “I'm gonna track him. Can you call Agent Hill?”

Nat nodded.

The remaining team members decided to go back at the Avengers Compound. Though all of you were still shocked, you still need to know how will you reverse this mess.

FRIDAY tracked Fury’s vehicle and sent you the address. Not wasting any time, you, Steve and Nat hurriedly went out there but you found nothing except this pager with a weird symbol behind Fury’s car.

“Scan the item, FRIDAY.”

“Scanning… scanning complete.” FRIDAY said, “It looked like a normal pager, miss. But when you click those buttons, it will automatically transmit a signal.”

“To where?” Steve asked.

“Unidentified.”

Nat sighed heavily, “Why would Fury have this?”

.
.
.

Days passed.

All of you got nothing.

Even a word from Tony.

It is really hard to deal with these consequences of the failed counterattack against Thanos.

You, Natasha and Steve were in front of your computer, where the numbers of the global death roll is showing. The current number reached 3.2 billion.

“This is a nightmare.” Steve said.

Nat looked at him, “I've had better nightmares.”

Just then, Rhodey walked in, “Hey. So that thing just stopped doing whatever the hell it was doing.”

Your eyebrows knitted and went to the room where Banner analyze the pager.

“What have we got?” you said, stopping beside Banner.

“Whatever the signal is sending, it finally creeped off.” He answered.

“I thought we bypassed the battery.” Steve said.

“We did. It's still plugged in, it just... it just stopped.” Rhodey answered.

“Reboot and send the signal again.”

“We don't even know what this is.” Banner said, looking at the three of you.

“Fury did. Just do it, please. You tell me the second you get a signal. I want to know who's on the other end of that thing.” Nat said to him, almost pleading.

You crossed your arms and sighed, “I'll try to reboot the thing. Just leave it to us.”

Natasha and Steve both nodded and left the room. You held your head and closed your eyes, sighing at the same time.

“Don't stress yourself too much, (Y/N).” Rhodey said, patting your shoulder.

“How? Tony’s not here. I don't know if he's okay or… or-” you can't finish the sentence. You don't want to think that way.

Tony’s okay. He'll come back.

“We need to think positive, (Y/N).” Banner said.

“I know.”