C H A P T E R 1 7

@Washington, D.C

“Mr. Stark, could we pick up now where we left off? Mr. Stark. Please.” Senator Stern said to Tony whose trying to talk to Pepper who looks like she was trying to tell him off.

Tony turns around to face him and said, “Yes dear?”

“Can I have your attention?” Senator Stern said, looking sternly at Tony. You get that? Stern.. sternly?

“Absolutely.”

“Do you or do you not possess a specialized weapon?”

The snapping of pictures were everywhere. Cameras and reporters were surrounding the area to film and report what is happening inside the court.

“I do not.” Tony answered bluntly.

“You do not?”

“I do not. Well, it depends on how you define the word weapon.” Tony shrugs.

“The Iron Man weapon.” Stern told him.

“My device does not fit that description.”

“Well… How would you describe it?”

“I would describe it by defining it as what it is, Senator.”

Stern leans forward and raised an eyebrow, “As?”

“It’s a high-tech prosthesis. That is… That is… That’s actually the most apt description I can make of it.”

“It’s a weapon. It’s a weapon, Mr. Stark.”

“Tony. He's an idiot.” You said, speaking from the earpiece. You're still at the SHEILD’s HQ, no thanks to Fury and his stubbornness.

“I know.” He whispered, “Please, if your priority was actually the well-being of the American citizen…”

Stern cut him off, “My priority is to get the Iron Man weapon turned over to the people of the United States of America.”

“Well, you can forget it. I am Iron Man. The suit and I are one. To turn over the Iron Man suit would be to turn over myself which is tantamount to indentured servitude or prostitution, depending or what state you’re in. You can’t have it.” Tony explained.

“Look, I’m no expert…”

“In prostitution? Of course not. You’re a senator. Come on.” Tony interrupted him.

You and the people inside the court laugh. “Oh my God, Tony. You're such a dick.” You said, still laughing.

Stern, who is fixing his tie, says, “I’m no expert in weapons. We have somebody here who is an expert on weapons. I’d now like to call Justin Hammer, our current primary weapons contractor.”

“Excuse me? An expert? That senator is really an idiot.” You exclaimed.

“Listen to what will I say, baby.” He whispers again. Tony looks at Stern, “Let the record reflect that I observed Mr. Hammer entering the chamber, and I am wondering if and when any actual expert will also be in attendance.” He said, obviously he's joking, for the ears of others, but is he really joking?

You laugh, a really hard one. Of course! He's no expert! He's an idiot. You, Hammer and Tony were schoolmates back days. You and Tony were the ones who fight for the top while Hammer is just three or four place behind you two and he really hates you, thinking that you and Tony were just paying the school for your grades.

Justin, who is sitting at the other side of the table, Tony's left side to be exact, took a sip of his water and laughs, “Absolutely. I’m no expert. I defer to you, Anthony and even (y/n). You’re the wonder boy and girl.” He said, pointing Tony. He then stands up with the microphone in his hand and walk in front still looking at Tony, “Senator, if I may. I may well not be an expert, but you know who was the expert? Your dad. Howard Stark. Really a father to us all, and to the military-industrial age.” Tony grew uncomfortable with the mentioning of his father's name. “Let’s just be clear, he was no flower child. He was a lion. We all know why we’re here. In the last six months, Anthony Stark and (your full name) has created a sword with untold possibilities. And yet, they insists it’s a shield. They asks us to trust them as we cower behind it. I wish I were comforted, Anthony, and if you're hearing this (y/n), I really do. I’d love to leave my door unlocked when I leave the house, but this ain’t Canada. You know, we live in a world of grave threats, threats that Mr. Stark and Ms. (last name) will not always be able to foresee. Thank you. God bless Iron Man. God bless America.” Hammer finished his speech and puts down the microphone.