thirty-seven

*Souline's POV

After our breakfast together, Jack invited me to a barbecue that his family was throwing this afternoon on their rooftop area where they live. I didn't want to go after last night. If Daniel would find out I'm joining Jack on this barbecue after he's the reason we got into this stupid fight, there would be no chance of winning him back. Unfortunately, Jack's mom FaceTimed him when he asked me to come along this afternoon and she insisted on me joining them later. She told me that Jack's little sister Isla wanted to meet me for so long and would be pretty happy to see me today. How could I say no to his mom? I clearly have nothing to do today anyways.

*text message
Jack: I'll be there in 45.

I quickly finished up my make up and hair. Now it was time to pick out an outfit..the hardest decision of all time. I wanted to look cute and still be comfy. It took me like 25 minutes until I decided to wear this cute yellow summer dress with white sneakers and two gold necklaces. It's pretty hot in L.A today and I don't want to sweat and be uncomfortable wearing some pants.

When I went downstairs, Jack was already waiting for me in the car

When I went downstairs, Jack was already waiting for me in the car. I opened the door and tried to get into the car as girly as possible without showing anything. Any girl wearing a dress can relate.

"Woah, you look like a sunshine with this dress on. It's a really pretty dress." Jack started the car.

"You have to stop or else I'll blush like a tomato." I brushed a strand of hair behind my ear.

"I didn't want to say anything, but you already did." he laughed, while I checked in the mirror.
"I'm joking." he laughed even harder.

"Ha ha ha. Really funny mister." I hit his shoulder. "I'm meeting your whole family today, huh?" I asked.

"You are, but don't worry. My family's the absolute best. They treat everyone as family."

"Okay let me get it straight. Your oldest sister is Sydnie, the middle one is Ava and the little one is Isla right?" I looked up his sisters on Instagram to remember their faces.

"Correct." he responded.

We arrived after ten more minutes and went up to the roof. I thought it was just a family barbecue, but turned out it wasn't. I saw like 20 people when we walked in.

"Okay, I didn't expect so many people here." I admitted.

"It's not like you don't know anybody here. You know the boys, my mom and soon my sisters and probably everyone else shortly after."

"The boys?" I asked confused.

"Yeah, Corbs, Zach, Jonah and Daniel."

He's got to be kidding me.

"Are you serious jack? Why would you bring me here then after last night?" I was mad.

"So you can get your mind off whatever happened last night." he looked confused.

"Wait, so you don't know what happened? Like not even the reason on why I acted the way I acted yesterday?" I raised an eyebrow.

"No. Franny called me, said something happened and told me I'm the only one you would potentially talk to right now. No further explanation." he explained.

"I got into a huge fight with Daniel because of us hanging out and me not telling him. I don't think it would be the best idea for me to stay if Daniel's going to be here. Especially because I come here with you. I want him to have fun today. I don't think I can stay."

"It's fine. I don't mind, you can stay. If y'all finally decided on hanging out without keeping it a secret, go ahead. Good for all of us, right?" I heard a way too familiar voice appear behind us.

"Daniel. I-..uhm I had no idea you would be here. I-I'm sorry. I'll leave."

"Like I said. Stay. I don't care. I really don't." he said walking past us.

"I'm sorry, if I would have know, I wouldn't have asked you to come along." Jack looked as shocked as I did.

"It's not your fault. I should have told you about it. I'll just leave, really."

"Leave? You're not leaving! You just arrived, you got to be kidding me." Jacks mom embraced me into a big hug.

"But I-"

"No buts. Come on, I'll introduce you to everyone."

This will be an interesting day.

*later that afternoon

One good thing about this afternoon so far is that I finally met Jack's sisters and we get along so well. Especially Sydnie and I. We talked so much I forgot what had happened between Daniel and I for a while.

"So, what's going on between you guys?" Sydnie asked nicely.

"Ehm.. I- Nothing, really. We're just friends I guess."

"Just friends?" she smirked.

I nodded.

"I think he likes you." she paused. "And from what I witnessed, I think you like him too." she took a sip of her soda.

"No, I really don't. Trust me." I awkwardly laughed.

"You're such a bad liar." she smacked my arm. "You know what I realized though?" She asked.

I shook my head, hoping for an answer.

"You may like him, but your heart though.. your heart belongs to someone else and you know that for sure."

I didn't say anything and looked at him. The same moment his eyes met mine.

"The way he looks at you Soul.. I know him. He wants you and you clearly want him as well. You're just scared."

"I just don't want to get hurt or worse hurt someone else." I admitted.

"I was the same way, but I just didn't let my fear get in the way of something that could potentially bloom into something beautiful. Trust the process. He's a great guy."

"It's crazy how someone you just met, understands you better than people you're close with. Thank you Sydnie." I hugged her.

She was so right. I have to give it a try. I need to stop thinking about how others are going to feel and think about myself for once and what I want. Someone always gets hurt, it's inevitable.

{a/n: hi guys🦋 so, what do you think? Who are they talking about? Daniel or Jack? Let me know.}