Chapter 84: Escaping the school

I nervously tap my hands on the desk. I'm in transfiguration, looking over at the clock. Today is November 8th, and I think that day might get stuck in my head for a long time. The second that McGonagall says class is over, I run to her. Before she can say anything, I tell her:

- I'm doing it today. Thank you for being what you were to me. Hope I'll see you again. Goodbye.

I quickly run off outside of the classroom, leaving my bewildered teacher behind.

...

After lunch, all of the students flood the hallways to get to their common rooms or classes. Searching through the crowd, I grab three arms and drag them towards a broom cupboard. Once we get there, I push the three people inside and enter, locking the door behind me.

Luna has her same dreamy expression, looking as though she gets dragged in cupboards all day long every day. Fresh bruises are fading on her cheek, results of taking one for the team on one of the fighting nights.

Ginny looks a bit surprised and confused, though she knows better than to ask about it. Her fiery red hair seems more dull ever since school started and her eyes have lost that little spark that she used to have with her brothers and Harry around.

Finally, Neville is getting ready to listen, looking as handsome as he has been since that day on the Hogwarts express. He looks to me to be the most worn out of the three, with a cut to his upper lip and a scar right under his left eyebrow and a few bruises showing up on his neck, forehead and cheek.

I have brought them here because they are the last one I need to speak to. At least, that I need to have a serious conversation with. Exhaling in a shuddering breath, I start:

- I need to tell you something, and I need you to promise all that you will listen and that you won't judge me for it.
- Of course.

Ginny says, holding out her hand for me to take. I execute myself and squeeze it tightly. I wish I could stay here but I really can't. It's be way too dangerous and besides, the truth needs to come out; and I can't be there when it does.

- I'm escaping this afternoon. I will leave the school and I won't come back until this war is over. I'll try to help the Order but I sincerely don't know if I'll even find them. They all went into hiding under the Fidelius charm so...

I blurt out quickly and none of my friends say a word. They look as if hesitating between "I knew it" and "what are you talking about". Before they can argue with me or change my mind, I tell them:

- I don't want it to seem like I'm just avoiding and saving myself to leave you all to deal with it...I just need to do this for my safety and others'. I really hope you'll forgive me.
- I always knew it would happen one day. Since the moment you stepped on the train.

Neville says, with a smirk on his lips. I let out a breath I didn't know I'd been holding when my friends all smile and hug me. Ginny whispers in my ear:

- I'm going to miss you.
- Oh don't worry. I'll miss you plenty too.

I say as she pulls away. The air in the small broom cupboard seems to be getting hotter and I kind of want to get out but then I remember that I have other things I want to tell them.

- Neville, in my absence, I want you to be the leader. With the help of Luna and Ginny of course but you can tell the DA that I want you to take over. And for the group, I'll leave to you the task of finding a knew Gryffindor member.
- Thank you, I'll do my best.

Neville says, his chest swelling with pride. He turns a bit read and my heart warms up at the young man standing before me. He really has grown a lot since last year. Getting back to a more serious tone, I tell them: