Chapter 36: Snape's new classes

I'm so sorry! I totally forgot to publish this last evening! So I'm publishing this today and the next one tonight. Anyways...

The ceiling of the great hall is serenely blue when I walk in with Hermione Ron and Harry. The first thing the boys do is talk to us about Hagrid's class. Apparently, since none of us are taking it, he will be sad. I don't have much to worry about since I was never gone of his favourite students but I do feel sympathetic for the poor man. In between two bites of my toast, I admit:

- He never liked me that much anyways...it's kinda your problem.
- Yeah but you told us last year that he liked your mum a lot! He must show some kind of affection!
- Yep, I'm with Hermione on this. Your problem too, pal.
- Ugh.

Ron agrees and I roll my eyes. He chuckles at my reaction. After having our breakfast we wait for McGonagall to confirm our schedules. Within seconds, Hermione is approved and she almost runs to her first class. Neville, unfortunately, takes a bit longer as the professor talk to him about pursuing in charms rather than in transfiguration. But we get there either way.

After that, she turns to Parvati Patil, who sets off for divination a little disappointed. I must say I don't really understand why. I mean, I never really bothered to actually listen to the conversation since none of my friends nor I were mentioned so, meh. Anyways, she finally comes over to me.

- So, Trigg, let's see; you scored an "Outstanding" in my class, can't say that I was surprised...

She says with a smile. I grin as Ron glares at me, annoyed and throws a "I KNEW YOU WERE HER FAVOURITE" look. Not paying attention, McGonagall continues.

- Potions, Charms, History of Magic, Defence against the dark arts...it seems that it is all in order. I'll be on my way, then;

She taps her wand on a bit of parchment and ink magically appears. I grab it as she moves onto my cousin behind me. Losing interest after a few seconds, I listen to the conversation.

- ...but I didn't buy the books nor the ingredients or anything —
- I'm sure professor Slughorn will be able to lend you some. Very well, Potter, here is your timetable. Oh, by the way — twenty hopefuls have already put down their names for the Gryffindor Quidditch team. I shall pass the list to you in due course and you can fix up trials at your leisure.

He nods and I quickly intercept the teacher to add my name onto the list. The two boys look at me astonished, since they never really saw me fly. I assure them that I am very good and that many said so themselves. Ron scoffs:

- But El, it takes years of flying lessons to be taken. An awful lot of talent too.
- It's a pity you won't be taken then...

I say with as a smirk makes its way on my lips. Harry chokes on his orange juice, laughing hysterically, while Ron grumpily chews his sausage.

...

After a little debate on how much homework Snape will give us, we get down to his classroom. Secretly, I am actually looking forward to this lesson seeing as this teacher in particular likes me fine. I bet I'm the only Gryffindor he is fond of.

Ron likes to tease me saying it's because of my ex-death-eater mother but each time he does, Harry smacks him in the head with one of Hermione's books.

We enter the class and have a look around. Snape has imposed his personality upon the room already: it's gloomier than usual as curtains have been drawn over the windows and it is lit by candlelight. New pictures are hung on the wall, many of them showing people who appear to be in pain, sporting grisly injuries of strangely contorted body parts. Nobody speaks as we settle down. Hermione whispers: