Chapter 44: Love is like a spell

Since Katie is still in the hospital, Harry decided to replace her by Dean which, overall, was a good idea and could make us win. Unfortunately, for some unknown reason, it seems to make him feel even worse. I'll have to talk to him about that.

Anyways, there was now a lot of muttering in the Gryffindor common room about how Harry has chosen two of his closest friends (I needed to fight myself for not saying that I was in fact his cousin, so it didn't count, to a third year boy that was spreading rumours) and one of his classmates.

Like Harry told me, he has endured worse muttering back in fifth year and weirdly, I hadn't listened back then. He also told me that if we won, everybody would forget that they had criticized him and swear that they had always known it was a great team. Though, when I asked my cousin what would happen if we lost, he only mumbled that he had indeed endured worse mutterings.

When we flew that night, we all saw that there were no problems with the team. Ginny and I continued to fly really well together and, even though that with Katie we were an unbeatable squad; with Dean, we weren't all that bad. The beaters were getting better but the only thing that seemed problematic was...well, I hated to say it but...it was Ron.

I always suspected him to be the kind of player that was influenced by nerves and lack of confidence but I never thought he would be this annoying. Apparently, the prospect of the opening game of the season seemed to be bringing more insecurities than I thought it was possible to bring.

On that same night after letting in a half dozen goals, mostly scored by the unbeatable duo, (the name that the rest of the team adopted for me and Gin) Ron's game grew wilder and wilder...and he ended up punching me in the mouth. I immediately landed on the ground, quickly followed by the rest of the team.

- It was an accident, I'm so sorry, El! Really! I just —
- Panicked. You prat, Ron, look at the state of her!

Ginny yelled at him. I held my hand to my mouth to stop the blood from flowing down my face anymore than it already was. Harry ran down to me and asked:

- Are you alright, El?
- Number one.

I said sarcastically. He pointed his wand to my mouth and cleared his throat before pursing his lips.

- What was the spell again?
- Episkey, Harry. E-PIS-KEY!

I told him, getting a little annoyed at my cousin. He quickly muttered the incantation and I felt a cooling feeling on my jaw. The blood had stopped running. I wiped the remaining blood with the back of glove and when I realized it wouldn't work, I took out my wand and said:

- Tergeo.

The blood washed away from my face on it's own. Overall, it was one of the worst practices we had of all the term.

Anyways, the next ones weren't really better, since Ron was getting more aggressive than ever and seemed to want to kill everybody with not exception. It took Harry telling him to toughen up so that he would actually act more human. I have to admit, though, that I did avoid him for most of his "angsty teenager" period.

Which leads us to today, first match of the season. I just have a gut feeling that it's going to be something!

...

I wake up the morning of the match, with a terrible headache. I get up from my bed and put on my quidditch gear. I climb down the stairs where a few Gryffindors cheer me on. I instantly scream to them:

- Shush yourselves! Migraine here!

I sigh and continue to make my way to the great hall were a lot of students are wearing Gryffindor colours. I sit down with my friends and start eating as my head gradually feels better. I notice Harry is looking a bit weird as he glares at Dean and Ginny, across the room.