Chapter 37: Felix Felicis

The bell rings for the afternoon's double potion. Hermione, Ron, Harry and I run down the path down to the dungeon classroom, that had, for so long, been Snape's.

When we arrive in the corridor, I am surprise to see only a dozen people waiting, from all houses. That means there's not a lot of people that have succeeded in achieving the required O.W.L. grade. Four Slytherins made it through, including the git that I won't look in the eye since the ministry, four Ravenclaws are there, and one hufflepuff that I recognize from the DA classes, last year. Hermione waves at him as he approaches us.

-Hi Ernie, I don't think you ever talked to our friend, this is Eleanor Trigg.
- Hi Eleanor.
- Hey.

I say with no interest in the conversation. A minute later, our potions professor opens the door and we fill out into the classroom. He greets Harry, a Slytherin guy and with enthusiasm.

- Always a pleasure, Miss Trigg. Zabini, how are you? Hello, Potter!

The door Slytherins take a table together. Three of the Ravenclaws take table while the remaining Ravenclaw girl sits alone. I look over to my friends to see Ernie sitting with them. The three give me helpless looks as I shrug to assure them that it doesn't matter. I make my way over to the lonely Ravenclaw girl and say:

- Hi. May I sit with you?
- Uh — yeah, sure.

She says reluctantly. I roll my eyes. This is surely going to be fun. I look at her a bit more closely. Her skin is tanned and she has dark brown hair. Her eyes are deep blue and she has pink cheeks and lips.

Wait, why am I describing her? It's not like anybody needs to imagine her or whatever. We can all see this girl very clearly! Anyways, back to the lesson;

Slughorn takes no notice in the fact that I am not seated with my cousin and simply starts the lesson.

- Now, now then...Scales out, everyone, and don't forget your copies of Advanced potion-making...
- Sir?
- Harry, m'boy?
- I haven't got a book, or scale or anything — nor's Ron — we didn't realize we'd be able to do the N.E.W.T., you see.
- Ah yes, professor McGonagall did mention...not to worry, my dear boy, not to worry at all. You can use ingredients from the store cupboard today, and I'm sure we can lend you some scales, and we've got a small stock of old books here, they'll do until you can write to Flourish and Blotts.

I frown as I remember that Harry and Ron weren't supposed to be in potions class. I probably need to pay attention at what is going on in this school. Meh, what the heck, I don't really care. I quickly stop listening when the teacher starts asking questions and Hermione is able to answer all of them perfectly. Typical Hermione.

I take notes of everything that is said, so that I can just, read the lesson later, when I feel like it. My attention is drawn back to the class, though, when Slughorn's starts talking excitedly about a potion he made.

- ...is a most curious little potion called Felix Felicis. I take it, that you know what Felix Felicis does, Miss Granger?
- It's liquid luck, it makes you lucky!

The whole class suddenly seems to sit up a bit straighter, as do I. My mind wanders into all the possibilities of what I could have done if I knew that existed sooner. Automatically, a picture of a very well known Slytherin forms itself into my mind. I rub my eyes to get rid of the tears forming in them.

- Quite right! Take another ten points for Gryffindor! Funny little potion, Felix Felicis, desperately tricky to make and disastrous to get wrong. However, if brewed correctly, as this has been, you will find that all your endeavours tend to succeed...at least, until the effects wear off.

After a few minutes of questions, we are all started on making a draught of living-death to win the Felix Felicis. I see that Malfoy seems to be the most determinated to win it, which makes my cousin even more determinated. Time passes and I decide that I'm tired of brewing the potion in silence. I make an attempt at a conversation with Ravenclaw-girl.