Chapter 28: The first letter

Letter to anybody that wants to hear it
By Eleanor Euphemia T. Potter

My whole world is collapsing. I have felt at ease with Theo probably more than with anybody. He took a curse for me earlier in that day. He decided to do this and got himself killed. Guilt is one of the things I'm experiencing. If only I never gave him the sweets. He would've made his way and got on with his life while we would've found another way to get out of that classroom. Maybe Hermione and Harry would've helped us in doing so.

Then, I would've been the victim of another cruciatus curse; the one he took on my behalf, but at least, the other curse; the killing one, would've hit the wall behind me. It's partly my fault. I told him too much. If I had never told him the truth about all of it, he never would've wanted to fight the death eaters. Maybe we wouldn't have been together but at least he would have been alive. Or is that worse?

Is it really better to be a bad person and live longer, or to be a good person and die living a shorter life? But that's not the question with Theo. He always was a good person. A good person would've handled things the way he did. If he would've been bad, he wouldn't have believed me. He would've sold me to Voldemort instead. Theo always had the potential to be a good person; he just needed to understand what was at stake.

That's what makes a good hero. They understand what is at stake and they choose right over easy. I've said it before and I'll say it again; you need to choose right over what's easy. Otherwise, you're a coward. Theo was a lot of things, but he never was a coward.

I remember once, where he asked me if running away from my problems was the only way I was going to solve anything. And since then, I always faced my problems head first instead of doing what I usually did. I owe him a lot. He kept my head straight on my shoulders when I felt that I was going mad.

Sure we would have our arguments from time to time but still, we were a normal couple. He was the only thing in my life that was normal. I had learned that I was a witch, and while that overjoyed me, it was of comfort to know that I was doing one thing the muggle way. Love.

The infuriating thought, I think, is the one that he died young. Life would have been great for him. I'm sure he would've been blessed with an amazing career and probably a family. The fact that he was robbed of a future is the one thing I can't get over. That and the fact that he is gone.

He loved passionately and lived his life the way he wanted it. On the opportunity, he wanted to help us. He chose his side and it cost him his life. These days, people are desperate to kill. They think that killing the ones we love will make it harder for us to go on. They are wrong. It will only make us want to fight harder. Because that is who we are.

We live our life knowing that tomorrow might be the last. We live our life like that because that's what needs to be done. That's not what we want but in this world, everybody has to make sacrifices. And we sacrificed our normalcy. We sacrificed our rights to a normal existence.

Actually that's wrong. We sacrificed it all because we know that an existence like the one the dark lord has planned out is not one that we wish to live. It's in fact one that no one wishes to live. Unlike others, we didn't decide to turn a blind eye to what has been done. We decided that if nobody was going to fight, then we would.

So, I will not stand and see anybody destroy this world, because Theo died for it. He did an heroic act that will count in the big picture. Even if, in reality, it takes thousands of heroic acts to make a difference, I'm proud to say, that without those actions and without those people, I wouldn't be standing here today. So gladly, I will fight on.

And if I have to be one of these acts so that somebody can finish the battle for me; then so be it.

Theo, you were loved and you will be missed.