Firelady (Toko)

A/n Toko for @ricorodri

.

.

.

Toph was 75% sure she was going to be sick.

Pull yourself together, it's not the end of the world! She chided herself. That didn't feel true, though.

You see, on her sixteenth birthday, she'd finally gotten her life-changing field trip with Zuko. It wasn't as exciting as she though it would be-a walk on the beach on Ember Island-but even so, her heart fluttered. Of course it did, she'd been crushing on the guy for three years, and now she was alone with him! On a beach. At night. With a full moon and no one else around.

The two of them walked along the shore, talking about everything and nothing. That alone had her on top of the world, but the real ringer was when Zuko stopped five minutes into their stroll. He looked directly at her, (or at least it felt that way) his voice growing serious.

"Toph, what do you think of me?" He'd asked. For a blind girl, her eyes sure went wide.

"Uh, what do you mean?" She asked. He didn't waver in the slightest.

"I mean, how do you feel about me? If you had to describe me to a stranger, what would you say?"

This was an odd question that Toph wasn't sure how to answer. Obviously she couldn't say "he's a really amazing guy that I've basically been in love with since I was thirteen," so how was she supposed to answer this?

Play it casual, she decided.

"Well, I'd probably say 'he's a foot burner who runs the Fire Nation and is apparently really good-looking despite the giant scar on his face. Not that I can tell though, I can't exactly see him,'" she responded. Zuko didn't say anything for a long time.

Usually being blind didn't bother Toph, but this wasn't usual. Right now, she was dying to read his expression. Even if she tried with her feet, which rarely worked in detail that great, the sand was screwing with her "vision" and she couldn't see well.

"That's it? No 'he's a really great guy,' or 'he helped defeat the evil Firelord Ozai,' or 'he's my hero'?" He finally asked. His tone was casual, which was probably a good sign. Toph chuckled.

"Why are you asking me this, anyway?" She asked. Why would he ask her opinion of him on a late night beach stroll that might count as romantic if viewed a certain way? It was an odd question, especially at a time like this. It almost made her wonder...

No, that was impossible. Not to mention it made no sense.

But it obviously was not impossible, because Zuko confirmed her suspicions with his next words.

"I've admired you for a long time, Toph. At first you were like my little sister, but now... you've grown up, and my feelings have changed and I don't know what's going on but I'm pretty sure I'm in love with you," he blurted rather awkwardly. Before they knew it, they were both hunched over in laughter, then she kissed him, and the next thing either of them remembered was bursting through the door of the beach house the gang was staying in singing I Found My Thrill On Blueberry Hill. Their friends were very confused.

And now, five years later, they were getting married. Despite the long-term status of their relationship, it was a rather surprising development. Toph didn't strike anyone as the "marrying" type. It didn't really matter if Zuko got married anyway, since Azula had a daughter who could very easily become the heir to the Fire Nation throne. But surprisingly, Toph actually wanted to get married. She dropped hints and everything (without realizing, of course). Not that Zuko was complaining. He wanted to get married, too.

So he proposed. And she said yes. The wedding was given a summer date, on the beach of Ember Island where they got started.

Now, a few house before the wedding, the bride was pacing just outside the beach house she and Katara were staying in, the sand following her footsteps as she questioned if this was a good idea.

"Feeling nervous?" A familiar voice asked. Toph smirked and turned, coming face to face with her soon-to-be-husband. She couldn't see very well because of the sand, but she knew that voice anywhere.

"Don't you know you aren't supposed to see me until the wedding? Katara might kill you if she finds you here!" She teased. Zuko chuckled.

"I figured that rule doesn't count if the bride can't see me, too. And besides, the wedding's in a few hours anyway, so what does it matter?"

Toph gave a nervous laugh. She heard footsteps, and a hand rested on her shoulder.

"Are you alright?" He asked. A sigh escaped her lips.

"Not really... I mean, can you really see me as a Firelady? I'm terrible with responsibility as it is, how am I supposed to help you run a country?"

Zuko chuckled. "I think you'll be good for the people. They need a break from stuffy, stiff-as-a-board rulers. You'll get them to relax a bit. They're gonna love you!"

"And if they don't?" She challenged. It was a valid point. She wasn't even Fire Nation, why should she be one of their rulers? Zuko didn't waver though.

"Then they'll have to pull the sticks out of their butts. I know everyone will love you, Toph."

"How? How do you know that?" She asked, a frantic edge beginning to creep into her tone. This wasn't like her, she was usually cool.

Zuko's arms wrapped around her and his chin rested on her head.

"Because I already do. And I speak for my people. So, by that reasoning, it stands that they'll love you, too." Amazing. Even when he was being comforting, he couldn't speak clearly. But the message was obvious enough.
Slowly, she wrapped her arms around his torso. He placed a chaste kiss on her head, and just like that her worries melted away. He had that affect on her.

"I'll see you at the altar," Zuko whispered, giving her one last squeeze and leaving her with her thoughts.

A few hours later, she was standing beside him as the Fire Sage spoke of love and its bonds. Two thought went through her head. One: I can't wait to get rid of this hideous hairdo, and two: Holy Roku this is actually happening.

Before she knew it, the two of them were presented as the new Firelord and lady. The crowd cheered as she reached up and laid one on her new husband. Just like that night on the beach, her heart raced.

"I love you," she whispered. Zuko grinned (or at least it sounded like he was grinning.)

"I love you too."

And in that moment, she knew that as long as he was with her, she could do anything. Even put up with a bunch of stick-in-the-mud Fire Nation citizens.