Leechee Juice (Makorra)

What the hell?

That's all Mako could say about the sight in front of him.

Here he'd been, coming in from work, tired as all getout and in dire need of a drink. He'd been perfectly ready to pop open a can of leechee juice and collapse on the couch, maybe talk to Bolin if he was home. He forgot all that, though, when he opened the door and found his brother on top of his ex-girlfriend on the couch. Their heads shot up, and they stared at him in horror and embarrassment.

"Mako! Hi! Um, this isn't what it looks like!" Korra called immediately. Bolin threw himself off of her and sat up straight as a board, a deep shade of red crawling up his face as he rubbed the back of his neck.

"Yeah... I sorta tripped..." he said, staring at the ground. Mako shifted his eyes between his brother and Korra, a somewhat disbelieving look on his face. Finally, he sighed.

"Okay, fine. Whatever. I don't care what you do," He told them, making a move for the icebox.

"Mako wait,"

He turned back. Korra stood and began walking towards him.

"We didn't do anything, you have to believe me," she pleaded. Mako shrugged.

"Look, I already told you I don't care. You and I broke up months ago, you can do whatever you want."

But in truth, he was more than a little hurt. He knew Bolin liked Korra, but he didn't think he would do this. Since when was it cool to go for your brother's ex girlfriend? Especially when you knew he was still hung up on her.

"Mako, I swear he just tripped!" Korra said, grabbing his arm. On instinct, he jerked it away.

"Okay! whatever! why do you care so much what I think anyway? We broke up months ago, I'm over it!"

Korra could see that he didn't believe her. Nor was he likely to. Tears began to well in her eyes.

"Please Mako..." she begged one more time. The firebender sighed and turned back to the icebox.

Korra released his arm and ran out the door. Mako grabbed his leechee juice and started for the couch, only for his brother to knock it out of his hand.

"Hey what are you doing?!" the firebender yelled. Bolin looked furious. There was even a vein bulging in his forehead. He might've looked comical if in any other situation.

"She came to reconcile! she wanted to get back together you idiot!" Bolin yelled, taking his brother by surprise. Mako had never seen Bo this angry, nor had he ever really insulted him before. But however Bolin felt, it didn't compare to the anger now seeping out of Mako. Bo had no right to be mad at him now.

"Then why was she making out with my brother on the couch?! Better yet, why were YOU on top of HER? you know I'm still not over her!" He yelled back. Bo threw his hands in the air.

"I tripped, okay! TRIPPED! I was getting us some leechee juice to drink while we waited for you and I tripped over the tea table!"

He pointed to a scuff mark on their brand new tea table. Mako's eyes scanned the vicinity for the leechee juice cans, which must still be on the floor, secretly hoping they weren't there.

But they were. One had rolled to the far wall, now resting beneath the windowsill, and the other was nestled between the back of the couch and the seat cushion, threatening to fall in.

Without another word, he sprinted out the door, running in the direction he was sure she'd gone.

At times like this, she'd be by the docks. Being a Water Tribe woman, the sea had a calming affect on her. She'd be sitting by the edge, bending the water to her will in order to occupy her hands and keep herself distracted.

Mako rounded the corner of a supply hut and found Korra exactly where he thought she'd be: boots off, feet in the sea, an arc of water running up from her left, above her head, and into the ocean again on her right.

For a brief moment, he wondered why he hadn't just taken his bike.

"Korra," he called, causing her to start in surprise. The arc dropped, and her head whipped around to meet him.

"Mako!" she said, pulling her feet from the water and standing on the dock. With a flick of her wrist, her tears were gone. "I-"

Mako cut her off. "Bolin told me what happened. I'm sorry I didn't believe you before."

Korra smiled at him. For a moment they stood there, unsure of themselves, neither wanting to make a move. Finally, Mako sprinted forward and pulled her into his arms.

And pulled away just enough to connect their lips.

.

.

.

"And that is how this can of leechee juice got stuck in the couch!" Bolin declared, proud of his story. His nephew stared up at him.

"You mean it's been in there all this time?" he asked. The earthbender nodded.

"Gross!" his niece shouted. Bolin chuckled.

"Yeah, maybe, but it led to a good story, right?" he asked. The kids looked at each other, then at their uncle, and stood, running off to find something fun to do.

Bolin sighed. "Nobody ever likes my stories..."