The Baby (Tokka)

A/n another Tokka for @TokkaRobae.
.

.

.

"For the hundredth time, I don't care how 'dishonorable' it is, You're carrying my baby and I'm not going to just drop the three of you on your heads because it'll make me look bad!" Sokka exclaimed. This was the hundredth time they'd had this fight, and this time, the councilman was determined to win.

"No, Sokka, I'm not going to let you throw everything away because of something I did!" Toph fired back. Sokka clutched at his hair in frustration.

"Stop talking as if I didn't have just as much to do with this as you! It takes two people to make a baby, Toph!" He exclaimed. She sighed.

"Mama? Sokka? Why are you yelling?" A six-year-old Lin asked, staring up at her mother and 'father.' Toph scooped her up and painted a fake smile on her face.

"It's nothing, sweetheart. We were just trying to see who can talk the loudest. Now come on, let's get you back to bed!" she said as she carried the girl to her bedroom.

"Mama, are you fighting about the baby?" Lin asked, completely catching her mother off-guard. It took a minute for Toph to form a coherent response.

"What makes you think that?" She asked. Lin shrugged.

"Bumi said grown-ups fight more when babies are coming," she said. Toph chuckled.

"Oh did he now?" She asked. Lin nodded. Toph smiled as she lay her daughter in bed, pulling the covers over her and kissing her on the head.

"Sokka will come tuck you in in a minute. Sleep tight!" she whispered before leaving the room.

Lin noticed that her mother never answered her.

"It's not like people won't figure it out," Sokka pointed out when she returned. Toph rolled her eyes.

"What makes you think that? We aren't in the public eye! As far as everyone else is concerned, you're just a friend helping me out of a bad place. As soon as you deny it, everyone will go right back to believing that you're a noble Councilman and I'm a cop who can't keep her legs closed."

"I can't and won't deny my own child!" He declared for the millionth time. Toph sighed again as she rubbed her temples. A metal band around her arm began to vibrate. She silenced it with a quick tap.

"Sokka, I've already had a child out of wedlock. I'm already 'dishonored.' I don't want the same to happen to you! Your a politician, you wouldn't be able to get away with it as cleanly as I did!" She said, trying to make him understand. Sokka was about to protest again, but seeing the desperation in her expression made his defenses crumble once more.

I really need to learn how to say no to this woman, he thought.

"Fine," he said, "but I will see her taken care of." He patted his lover's ever growing bump.

"See you in two months," he whispered before going to Lin's room to tuck her in.