Blush (Zuki)

A/n and here's a Zuki (it is Zuki right?) for @KayleighBush_ Warning: spoilers for the Search Part 3. If you haven't already read the avatar comics and intend to, do not read this one-shot.

.

.

.

This was wrong. This was so wrong.

Suki couldn't be developing feelings for Zuko, she had a boyfriend! An amazing boyfriend, whom she liked a lot. A boyfriend who would be crushed if he found out about this.

And yet, she couldn't stop her heart from racing whenever Zuko was around, or the butterflies in her stomach when he talked to her.

She considered resigning from his personal guard, but she felt that would raise too many questions. After all, there was no reason anyone else would be able to see for her resignation, and she didn't want anyone finding out.

To make matters worse, Zuko hadn't been doing too hot since he and the others returned from their journey to find his mother. Something about it must have hurt him, but whatever it was, he was yet to share.

Suki was left pondering her situation when she heard muffled sobs escaping the Firelord's bedroom. More concerned for his emotional state than his physical safety, she entered.

Zuko looked up as the door opened, surprise evident on his face. He was hunched against the wall, robes disheveled, his one good eye red and puffy. His headpiece was lying on the floor in front of him, where he'd evidently thrown it. All in all, he looked like a wreck.

"Suki! I um, I... what are you doing in here?"

"Zuko, are you alright?" She asked, ignoring his question. He nodded. She crossed her arms and cocked an eyebrow, awaiting a true profession. With a deep sigh, he straightened up and fixed his robes.

"She forgot me."

Suki didn't need to ask him to elaborate.

"She made a deal with a spirit, my mother did. She chose to forget all about me and Azula. Got remarried and had another kid. All this time I thought my mother cared about me. I mean, she gave my father a poison so he could steal the throne and keep from killing me, got herself banished, only to go and choose to forget all about me!"

Suki wasn't sure how to answer that, so she sat down next to him and wrapped her arms around his shoulders. He began to sob. She noticed how open he'd grown emotionally.

"There, there. It's alright, Zuko. I'm sure she had a reason. After all, she couldn't see you. I'm sure she just couldn't handle the pain of not being able to see her children."

"That's what she said," he answered, voice a bit hoarse, "but it still hurts that after everything I went through trying to find my mother, it all ended with me learning that she purposely forgot all about me. And to top it all off, my sister ran off into the woods!"

Suki definitely didn't know how to respond to that. Instead, she just patted her friend's shoulder, butterflies forming in her stomach as she grew increasingly aware of their close proximity.

"It'll be alright, Zuko. Azula's tough as nails no matter her mental state. She'll find her way back here soon enough. And I'm sure Ursa's feeling really guilty about what she put you through. One day all three of you are gonna sit down and work everything out, I guarantee."

"You really think so?" He asked. Suki nodded.

"Positive. Now stop crying, you look silly."

Zuko chuckled as he wiped his eyes. Suki stood and extended a hand to help him up. As she pulled though, she took a step back and tripped over his discarded headpiece, sending the two of them sprawling out on the floor.

Zuko landed blushing on top of her. The red of their cheeks was matched only by that of the palace tapestry.

"Sorry, I um, tripped," she stuttered, an awkward smile on her face. Zuko matched her with one of his own.

"No, it's my fault. I'm the idiot who threw his headpiece. Sorry." He apologized awkwardly. Suki giggled.

"You're not an idiot, Zuko," she assured him. He gave her a crooked grin.

"Well, maybe not all the time..."

Suki's heart was racing. The Firelord pushed himself off of her and stood, extending a hand to help her. Oh spirits, she couldn't make her heart slow down. Her stomach refused to stop churning. She felt as if she would either throw up or have a heart attack. Possibly both.

Zuko smiled at her. "Thanks for talking to me, Suki." He said. Suki began to blush furiously.

"Any time," she offered, and with one last smile between them, she left.

This might be a problem... Zuko thought, his own heart racing.