Wedding (Kataang)

A/n Kataang for @thewilddreamer

.

.

.

This was it. The big day! She still couldn't believe it was finally here. The nervous jitters bounced around inside her as she paced about the church entrance.

This is it. My wedding day. Today, I'm marrying my best friend.

Katara and Aang had been childhood sweethearts. They grew up together, started dating when they were thirteen, and now were marrying at age 25. Katara was wearing her mother's dress, which fit her perfectly. She was currently standing just outside the church entrance with her father, Hakoda.

"It's almost time," he called from his position by the door. Katara joined him and pressed an ear to the door, listening to the sounds within the church. Any minute now...

The Bridal March began. With a deep breath, she linked her arm through her father's and walked with him through the massive church doors.

It was a lot to take in all at once. Glancing around, she saw her friends and family. Toph, miraculously dressed in a bridesmaid's gown. Her brother Sokka, standing as Best Man. Zuko, a groomsman, trying not to fidget and failing miserably.

But most importantly, she saw Aang, a big bright smile on his face and a gleam in his eye. Her heart swelled at the sight of him. Her lover. Her confidante. Her shoulder to cry on. Her best friend.

Before she realized, she was standing right in front of him. The preacher was talking, but she was hardly paying attention. All her thoughts were on Aang and the life they were about to start. What do you know, she thought, even the bride can't pay attention at weddings...

Eventually, though, it was time for the vows and rings. They'd opted to go with the traditional words, which suited them fine as neither of them had any urge to stress over writing their own when there were so many other preparations to stress over, and soon enough there were rings on fingers and "I dos" declared. Katara's heart swelled with joy and pride and excitement all at once, and the preacher had barely gotten the words out before the bride and groom's lips met. It was a beautiful spectacle which left many already teary-eyed guests grabbing for the tissues once more.

The entire time, Katara had to remind herself that this was indeed happening. Their first dance as a married couple felt like a dream, with his smiling eyes gazing lovingly down at her, one of his hands at the small of her back and the other clasped in her own. Her heart still fluttered every time she was near him, just like it had when she was an awkward schoolgirl. Then his lips were brushing against her ear, and her breathing hitched as his warm breath fanned against it.

"You're a vision of beauty," he whispered. She giggled.

"You're not so bad yourself," she replied.

Katara would be lying if she said she remembered in any detail the reception, really. She shoved cake in his face, he shoved cake in her face, they danced, they ate, they drank, they talked with friends and family, there was laughter and merriment all around. She was almost sad to pull away in the car that would take them to their wedding night destination, tin cans clattering down the road as they drove. Aang held her hand as they waved out the window to their family and friends. A tear formed in the corner of her eye.

But then she remembered where they were going and what they would so once they arrived. One thing she did remember was what happened after the reception. Hot and heavy, it went by the way a wedding night should: filled with things neither of them would soon forget.

This is the start of our life together... Katara thought as she lie awake, Aang snoring softly next to her, in the wee hours of the morning. A soft smile touched her lips as she thought of it.

It was off to a promising start.