What Friends are For (Zutara/Kataang)

Katara wasn't taking Aang's death too well.

The Avatar had been sick for a long time, and everyone knew it was coming, but that didn't make it any easier. Especially when he's the only person you've even looked at since you were a young teenager. She felt as if half of her soul had been ripped away and burned slowly until all that was left was a continuous ache in her heart.

That's what happens when you lose your soulmate.

The funeral was a big to-do. Everyone in the city and a considerable amount of people in the three big Nations turned up to pay their respects to the Avatar, including a few familiar faces. The rest of the gaang was there of course, Haru was there, as were Smellarbee and Longshot (with their children and grandchildren), Taio, The Duke and Pipsqueak, among others. And while it was nice to see old friends, the circumstances prevented Katara from actually enjoying their company. Everyone told fine stories of Aang, but the healer had trouble smiling with them.

Eventually, Aang's body had to be lain to rest. Kya, Bumi, and Tenzin stood consoling their mother as her husband's remains were given their final resting place. There were tears pouring from everyone's eyes, but no one had as much right to cry as the four people standing to the side of the gravesite.

Afterwards, a great banquet was held in the Avatar's memory, both to celebrate his accomplishments in life and to anticipate the great achievements of the avatar to come. Everyone in attendance had a wonderful time, and even Bumi, Tenzin, and Kya were able to smile a little at the memories being spoken aloud by those close to their father.

Katara, though, found herself choking up when Sokka stood on a table and recalled the failed invasion of the Fire Nation on the day of Black Sun. Katara remembered it well. It was the first time Aang kissed her.

Suddenly, she needed some air. Silently, Katara slipped away from the crowd and out the balcony door. She clenched her eyes shut as the tears slipped freely between her eyelids and down her wrinkled cheeks, and she stumbled to find a seat in a nearby chair. Gentle sobs escaped her lips and she buried her face in her hands.

"Oh, Aang..." She whispered.

"You know, he wouldn't want you to cry like this," a familiar voice from behind reminded her. Startled, Katara shot upright in her seat (about as well as a woman in her late sixties can) and turned to look. She smiled despite her sadness.

"Hello, Zuko. Long time no see," she said, wiping away her tears and sniffling up her sobs. The Firelord smiled and made his way toward her.

"Hello, Katara. It's nice to see you again, although the circumstances are less than ideal..."

Both the old friends cast their gazes to the floor, whether in respect for Aang or sadness that they had to meet again this way, neither really knew. But Katara couldn't hold her tears in any longer, and they broke free again seconds after.

Suddenly there were warm arms wrapped around her. She looked up at her old friend, smiling down at her with a tear in his own eye.

"You remember I lost the Firelady five years ago. It tore my heart in two. I felt like a part of me was missing, and to be honest I still feel that way today. I closed myself off and put my daughter in charge while I moped around in my study."

"You were a mess," Katara agreed. Zuko chuckled.

"That I was. My grandchildren even began to think I was dead! But eventually my son and daughters dragged me out of my miserable cocoon, sat me in a chair, and gave me an earful about abandoning our people, abandoning our family, to my sadness. After that, I've had an active role in my nation's running, a sort of unofficial ambassador. After all, I am still technically Firelord until I die, I have to do something!" Zuko looked down at his friend, "do you know why I'm telling you this?"

Katara sighed, nodding. Zuko tightened his embrace and then held her at arm's length. He met her eyes with a supportive look.

"It's okay to mourn, but don't do what I did. You may not have a country to run, but you're still important. Think of how many sick people need your help!" He reminded her with a grin. And despite her sadness, the Katara smiled.

"Thank you, Zuko," she said. Zuko pulled her in for one more quick hug.

"That's what friends are for."